Help support TMP

"lanciers rouges " Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

589 hits since 21 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Art22 Oct 2017 11:55 a.m. PST

G'Day Gents

PAINT ME STUPID !!!!

I have the memoirs of a Dutch Lancier rouge at home…

But since I am in the bush once more…I though I would try and download the memoirs…but I have a brain cramp and cannot remember the actual name of the mémoires ;-(

I even messed on the title of the topic…as I tried goggling everything that came to mind…

Let me thank you in advance for your assistance

Best Regards
Art

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP22 Oct 2017 2:23 p.m. PST

Are you thinking of de Brack and Cavalry Outposts? I have not read this in a few years and am not sure what he wrote are really memoirs. I remember it being a collection of what might be called maxims.

TOM

Art22 Oct 2017 10:19 p.m. PST

G'Day Tom

No…I believe his name is Dumonceau, who's father was Jean-Baptiste Dumonceau who In 1805, commanded the corps of Batavian troops placed under the command of maréchal Mortier.

He starts his military career by keeping the units journal (under supervison) for his father…then joined the 2e régiment de chevau-légers lanciers de la Garde Impériale.

It is either a four or five volume set…and I think the title is Mémoires du général comte François Dumonceau…

Best Regards
Art

Prince of Essling Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2017 12:23 a.m. PST

Indeed you have the correct title – from J P North's "A Bibliography of Eyewitness Accounts of the Retreat from Moscow (1812) link

Mémoires du Général Comte François Dumonceau. 3 vols. Brussels, 1958–63. (Dutch Lancers, Imperial Guard)
No trace of an online version so far….

Le Breton23 Oct 2017 12:48 a.m. PST

Mémoires du général comte François Dumonceau
publies d'apres le manuscrit original par Jean Puraye
illustres d'après les estampes et les tableaux du temps
Bruxelles : Brepols, 1958-1963
3 v. : ill., facsims., maps, ports. ; 21 cm.
volume 1. 1790-1811.
volume 2. 1812-1813.
volume 3. 1814-1830.
Collection "Au coeur de l'histoire", No. 2, No. 8 et No. 14

It appears that the 3 volumes were then re-published together ….
Mémoires du général comte François Dumonceau
éd. Jean Puraye
Bruxelles : Brepols, 1963.
3 vol. in-8°, rel. cartonnage toilé éd., plus de 1200 p., tables, gravures hors texte

Voir aussi :
No. 467
Bibliographie critique des mémoires sur le Consulat et l'Empire écrits ou traduits en français.
Jean Tulard
Genève : Droz, et Paris : Minard, 1971

The same Jean Puraye contributed very detailed biographical entries for the father and son to the 1976 supplement (Tome 39) to:
"La biography nationale de l'académie Royale des sciences, des lettre et des beaux-arts de Belique"
PDF link
See column 278 et seq.

The Mormon Church appears to offer on-line access to a restricted group of readers :
link

HathiTrust (Search Only) :
link

Art23 Oct 2017 4:52 a.m. PST

G'Day Gents

I would like to thank all of you for your assistance…

Sad tidings…perhaps one day…

Nevertheless…again I want to thank all of you…

Best Regards
Art

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.