Help support TMP

"All Quiet Cavalry Squadron" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

510 hits since 16 Oct 2017
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 12:51 p.m. PST

This is a project I've been working on for a while. I wanted to build a squadron of US Cavalry for the All Quiet on the Martian Front game as described in my upcoming book: "The Great Martian War: Counterattack!"

By the fourth year of the war, the army had come to realize the near-helplessness of traditional horse cavalry. Despite some heroic actions, like the defense of Glorietta Pass during the Battle of Santa Fe (as described in "The Great Martian War: Breakthrough!") it was obvious that cavalry needed far heavier weapons than they could carry on horseback. At the same time, the mobility and independence from a fuel supply of the old horse cavalry could not be ignored, either. So a hybrid organization was decided upon combining horse cavalry, motorcycles, armored cars, and heavy weapons which could be carried on pack horses. Forces such as these proved their worth at Little Rock and Memphis.

1st Squadron, 5th United States Cavalry

picture

Its commander, Captain Frank Dolfen

picture

A Troop.

picture

The rocket lancers and bombardiers were considered suicidal, but effective.

picture

B Troop

picture

C Troop with the Reeves Mark II armored cars.

picture

D Troop with mortars and heavy machine guns carried on pack horses.

picture

D Troop deployed.

picture

The models are quite a collection of manufacturers. The horse cavalry and mortars are by QRF . Most of the motorcycles are All Quiet figures, although I modified one with a FoW German sidecar. The heavy machine guns are Blue Moon, and the armored cars are HEAVILY modified German armored cars from the Plastic Soldier Company.

If you are curious about the books upon which this is based, you can find them here:

link

Tom Reed Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 1:11 p.m. PST

Oh yeah, now I see from when the armored cars came from! Really nice looking troops.

Micman Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 1:18 p.m. PST

Scott, What is the publication date of the 3rd book?

Nice work. I have some Slave to Gaming cav with gas masks that I hope to modify like you mounted troops.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 2:02 p.m. PST

We are hoping to have the third book out in late November, but I think it may slip back to some time in December. I considered using the Slave 2 Gaming cavalry. They are really nice, but they didn't have the variety I needed or the pack horses with the heavy weapons.

Micman Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 3:55 p.m. PST

Thanks Scott, just pre-ordered it off Amazon.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 4:26 p.m. PST

Thank you!

Personal logo PzGeneral Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 6:43 p.m. PST

Very kewl Scott….very kewl! thumbs up

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 7:37 p.m. PST

I liked it!

Personal logo Unlucky General Supporting Member of TMP18 Oct 2017 9:37 a.m. PST

Really quite wonderful.

Lion in the Stars19 Oct 2017 2:18 a.m. PST

very cool!

Royal Air Force19 Oct 2017 6:45 a.m. PST

Great idea on the armored cars. I'm trying that conversion on a 3D model of the source vehicle.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.