Help support TMP

"Shooting at Ork Big Gunz" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

282 hits since 16 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 5:58 a.m. PST

I'm a little confused about how shooting would be resolved against a unit of Ork Big Gunz. The unit consists of a Big Gun and 2 Grot gunners. You can add up to five additional Gunz, each with two Grot gunners. The rules state that you can't shoot at the Grots unless they are the closest enemy unit. Since the Gunz will probably be kept in the rear, you will rarely ever be able to shoot at the Grots.

So if I shoot at the Gunz, they have three wounds each and would be treated like any other multi-wound model. Hits keep being added against the same model until it is destroyed and then go on to the next model. Excess hits from multi-wound weapons are discarded. But since you are not allowed to shoot at the Grots, I assume that none of the wounds can be put on them, even if the gun they are crewing is destroyed.

And what about morale checks? Are the Grots ignored for that, too? Say I have a unit of 6 Big Gunz and they have two models destroyed in a turn. They roll a 6 on their morale check. 6+2=8 which exceeds their Leadership by 2 so two more MODELS are removed. This would be 2 of the Gunz, correct? The Ork player could not use Grots to soak up those two extra model casualties.

stecal Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 12:03 p.m. PST

Its not like that at all – each gun model and each group of grot gunners is its own unit (its stupid, I know) So 6 gunz with 6 x 2 man gunner teams counts as 12 units, all separate with their own morale. Destroying a gun model has no effect on morale as it is its own 1 model unit.

As a side not the grots are not attached to any single gun, so any grot can man an adjacent gun.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 2:07 p.m. PST

According to the Index: Xenos 2, "This unit contains 1 Big Gun accompanied by 2 Grot Gunners. It can include up to 5 additional Big Gunz, each of which is accompanied by 2 Grot Gunners."

Sounds like a single unit to me.

Of course, you could buy them as individual units, but that would use up an awful lot of Heavy Support slots if you are using the Battle Forged Army rules.

I saw an Ork army at a recent tournament and it had one 6-gun unit and one 5-gun unit. I was asking the question in case I have to face it in an upcoming tournament :)

stecal Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 4:25 p.m. PST

its in the FAQs: link

Page 34 – Big Gunz, Grot Krew
Change the final sentence to read:
‘From that point on, each Big Gun and each 2-model
group of Grot Gunners act as separate units.'
Page 35 – Mek Gunz, Grot Krew
Change the final sentence to read:
‘From that point on, each Mek Gun and each 5-model
group of Grot Gunners act as separate units.'

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 5:31 p.m. PST

Ah, interesting. So basically, the big Gunz are immune to any sort of morale effects.

Also, you can BUY them as one big unit and thus only use up one Battle Forged Army slot, but once deployed they act as separate units. And they are very cheap and very powerful. A really nice feature for the Orks!

Personal logo Mardaddy Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 8:05 p.m. PST

And fragile to enemy air, artillery, and deep striking units.

There are counters to every "nice thing."

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.