Help support TMP

"XWing Miniatures Abridged (anyone else do this?)" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

433 hits since 13 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

dddd9914 Oct 2017 9:02 p.m. PST

So I took to xwing miniatures since it is ready to play out of the box and gives a good strategy and fun game with minimal investment. Whenever I have guests over, family, friends and someone wants to play a game, I say yeah sure we could play chess, monopoly, cards, or Star Wars. So these are not really wargaming people, but sometimes I get them to play and when they do they usually like it. I just say it's a board game and they can pick either Imperial or Rebels. Sometimes my converts get more into it and we can go past the initial 2 Ties versus 1 X-Wing intro battle.

Here is the thing I only collect up until Wave 5. Anything past that I don't buy. My guests don't know any better and I doubt they'd care; I furnish both sides of the battle.

Since I do that, I want to make sure I am stocked on ships to the "correct" level haha. So I have:

9 Tie fighters, slave I, tie phantom, tie bomber, Lambda shuttle, Tie defender, Decimator, 2 Tie advanced, Tie interceptor

and, 5 X-wings, Millenium Falcon, 2 B-wings, 1 E-Wing, Z-95, Hawk 290, YT2400, 2 Y wing, 1 A-wing.

So my question is anyone else do this? It's always fun to introduce new people to wargaming. Also, for more experienced X wing enthusiasts what else do I need to round out my pre-Wave-5 forces?

I'm thinking to buy 2 more B-Wings and some more Z-95s. Basically I am trying to build a robust and well rounded fleet for me and my guests with Wave-5 and before.

Personal logo herkybird Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2017 12:07 a.m. PST

I only have models that appeared in the films, or in Star Wars: Rebels, I tend to get 'Flights' of 3 or 4 of most, but Tie fighters, A-Wings, and X-Wings I have in…greater numbers!

Mister Tibbles15 Oct 2017 5:29 a.m. PST

Outside the X-wings and Tie fighters, which I have from multiple starter boxes and an expansion of each, I tend to buy the other fighters in pairs.

I assume you bought at least one expansion pack for the X-Wing and Tie Fighter so you get the named pilots, like Wedge Antilles? You could always pick up like a Rebel Aces box or Heroes of the Empire box on sale--those add some spice.

Board Game Geek has a very active X-Wing community. You can find a great buying guide there.

dddd9915 Oct 2017 8:00 p.m. PST

Cool, herky. Yeah that's sort of what it's like for me -- I like the ships in the movies mostly so that's my reason for only going to wave 5. I get you're idea about flights so now I am going to add:

2 – Z95
2 – B-Wing
2 – A-wing
1 – Tie interceptor

I am also considering on adding 2 more Y-wings and then 2 more tie phantoms and 2 more tie bombers, but that'll be for the future and it's not a must have.

Then I think I will call my collection complete. With this I and my guests could build quite a few of the popular lists of those years. Maybe I will be missing a few cards, but I figure I could just create my own proxy cards.

Tibbles, yes I forgot i do have those expansions so increase my Tie fighter count to 10 and my x-wings to 6 haha. And of course all those named pilots.

I did check out the Boardgamegeek buying guides. Good reads. Thanks.

I got most of this x-wing collection from people buying me gift cards for birthdays/christmas. I never know what to get so I just bought a bunch of this game. My friends and family are too generous so the least I can do is give them some x-wing games.

= )

Personal logo Lost Wolf Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2017 11:28 a.m. PST

I like the game and minis so I buy it all. Probably why I'm broke

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.