Help support TMP

"Derby Worlds, any reports?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

532 hits since 13 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Volleyfire13 Oct 2017 2:24 a.m. PST

I couldn't make it to the Worlds this year at their new venue, and I've been searching on various forums on here looking to see if anyone had posted a report and photos, but so far no one seems to have put anything up. Has anyone got any feedback? The only bit I've found is a small bit on the Baccus website where Peter obviously had some issues with the trader arrangements.Any word from a punter's point of view?

steamingdave4713 Oct 2017 2:56 a.m. PST
JimDuncanUK13 Oct 2017 2:56 a.m. PST

I had a trader refer to it as 'Nowhere Near Derby show '.

There are some comments here:

TMP link

[edit}

Too slow, beaten by a few seconds.

steamingdave4713 Oct 2017 3:01 a.m. PST

Internet must be faster in the Highlands Jim🤔

Black Hat Miniatures13 Oct 2017 3:07 a.m. PST

Look at the Wargames Illustrated Facebook page for a long list of problems…

Mike

JimDuncanUK13 Oct 2017 3:08 a.m. PST

More likely my finger/brain connections Dave.

Volleyfire13 Oct 2017 6:49 a.m. PST

Thanks guys, I would never have found the posts under 'Death in the snow on offer' if you hadn't provided the link. Strange but normally I 'd have been hellbent on going to this show, but something at the back of my mind told me it was going to be underwhelming so I cried off. Glad I didn't waste a 5 hour round trip.

JimDuncanUK13 Oct 2017 8:33 a.m. PST

I'm glad it was just a little bit too far from Edinburgh to attend.

My normal show chummie was in the area visiting family and he popped in.

I won't see him until Battleground in November when I'll get the 'gory' details in the car going down. He'll be a bit grumpy for sure.

JimDuncanUK13 Oct 2017 8:45 a.m. PST

I've just viewed the Wargames Illustrated Facebook entry for this show.

My impression was of a brighter than normal venue although very crowded and extremely noisy. Couldn't really see much detail on the trade stands or the games tables as the camerawork was very shaky.

I had hoped to view the comments section but Facebook wanted me to login and I just said 'no'.

Volleyfire13 Oct 2017 3:05 p.m. PST

If you had logged in to the comments section Jim you'd see about 108 comments (so far)which were about 99% negative, with many saying they'll not be back next year if it is the same. A lot were hoping it could be moved elsewhere, but it appears the promoters have taken it there for 3 years.Donnington is now completely re-vamped as a prestige car auction venue so there's no going back there, even though a few are wishing it could. A lot are in favour of ditching the B&B as it apparently took up a lot of space for no useful purpose.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.