Help support TMP

"Armored horse archers also with spear/lance - how?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

622 hits since 11 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

CATenWolde12 Oct 2017 4:58 a.m. PST

Hi,

This is just a point of practical curiosity. In the late Roman period, you start to see the appearance of cavalry that evidently wielded both bow and lance. I'm curious what they did they did with the lance when they were using the bow? How did they "stow" it to free up both hands?

Cheers,

Christopher

idontbelieveit Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2017 5:15 a.m. PST

In drawings I've seen where someone tries to depict this, the lance is on a strap and slung over the back. I'm hoping the artists have some evidence for that but I've just seen the art.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2017 5:25 a.m. PST

Probably something like this.

link

Dexter Ward12 Oct 2017 5:33 a.m. PST

Slung over the back on a strap or sometimes a holder attached to the back of the saddle.

CATenWolde12 Oct 2017 5:42 a.m. PST

Thanks – very interesting! It looks like they might have employed both a toe loop and a shoulder loop. So, if I wanted to add a lance to an armored horse archer figure, it might be better to have it resting on the back of the right shoulder rather then "cross ways" across the back.

RudyNelson12 Oct 2017 4:18 p.m. PST

Lance earring horse archers were very common in Asia. Mongols and Koreans are known for bearing both. The Korean cataracts had a a wind sock on the back of saddle in family heraldry colors.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.