Help support TMP

"Historical Match Up: The Cimbri vs. the Celtiberian" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

502 hits since 9 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP10 Oct 2017 12:47 a.m. PST

The Cimbri continue their series and invade Hispania.
link

This concludes a brief series for the Cimbri. Two major battles are planned for the Consular Army and these should appear before the end of the month.

Cheers,
Robert

Marcus Brutus10 Oct 2017 4:59 a.m. PST

I appreciate what you are doing but it really is hard to take DBA seriously. It doesn't look great as a game and it doesn't really provide the the scope or feel of a battle.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP10 Oct 2017 7:33 a.m. PST

Marcus,

Good point and the authors of DBA do have options for players wishing ‘grandeur'.

On page 13 and 14 of the rule book are two ways to increase the size of the game without adding unnecessary extra rules. I prefer the last mentioned, the historical refight where the number of elements represent known numbers; this can be calculated using the recommended ratios.

And since you asked, the next two battles will involve 60 plus elements for the first and 110 elements for the second. In both engagements Rome was outnumbered yet won both battles.

Cheers,

Olivero10 Oct 2017 8:46 a.m. PST

60/110 Elements? BigGiantDBA?
Cool!

kodiakblair10 Oct 2017 10:29 a.m. PST

@timurilank

Is that 60 elements (240 figures) in total ?
Back in the WRG 5th/6th days 200 -250 figures a side were normal for lots of folks so you can appreciate why some think even EBBDBA lacking in visuals.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2017 12:55 a.m. PST

@kodiakblair,

I do remember.

My WRG ‘school days' began with the first edition and Tony Bath's Hyborian Campaign.
WRG 2 offered SHI (Super Heavy Infantry) for the Romans of the Dacian Wars – 6 figures, 10mm frontage.

WRG 3, I had painted a full Roman legion (25mm, 1:20 scale) of nine cohorts of 24 figures and the first cohort of 40. Add to that total ten cohorts and Alae of auxilia, three of which were of Miliaria strength.

During the ‘days of WRG 5th/6th we made the shift to 15mm so travel and participation at various tournaments at Rome, Paris and Brussels was made easier.

At the Derby World Team championships our club, representing the Netherlands, placed third. I believe my team mates used an Alexandrian Imperial and a Successor army while I fielded a Mongol Conquest army (tons of scouting points).

So, I do remember and as a matter of interest we had then similar opinions about DBA; ‘did not depict a real battle, too simple, etc'.

But in time, opinions can also become tempered or possibly even changed.

link

kodiakblair11 Oct 2017 11:21 a.m. PST

@timurilank

Under WRG5th/6th I could just about cope with the 1:20 figure/man ratio by conning myself the battles were being fought by advance parties of the various units present.

With 4 figure elements I can't do that. When I first bought DBA in 1990 the thought of 20 or 30 armies each no more than 50 figures strong interested me.That idea quickly paled,despite buying each version in the DBX series my view hasn't changed.

You may wonder what on earth I play. It's 1:1 or 1:2 figure/man ratio in 2mm scale ! I imagine folks would complain about visuals there too :-)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.