Help support TMP

"Imjin War, Koreans 1592-1597" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Painting Guides Message Board

353 hits since 9 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2017 8:38 a.m. PST

Painting guides… I need paint guides! There are none to be found.

The Perry site has the painted figures by Chris Adcock and Ospreys have pictures of Samurai with an odd Korean or two in the background but, other than that there isn't much I can find.

Where did Chris get his info? Any ideas? I would be grateful for any help you might have.

RudyNelson09 Oct 2017 9:39 a.m. PST

White and more white.
The Koreans during the Three Kingdoms era was very colorful and even had their own form of heraldry on their horses.
With the coming of Confucius, the color was replaced with gray and in some areas gray for the lower classes.

With a little research you can find Korean paintings of action against the Japanese. You will see all the white in one defending a ridge. The occasional monk can be seen wearing red or black. The upper nobles were officers and wore colorful clothing. Some still in family crest colors. Find the Korean War Museum in Seoul it covers the entire military history and not just the 1950s conflict. You can buy books from there which is what I did.

Robert Burke09 Oct 2017 1:47 p.m. PST

Skipper, you can contact me directly at Burker1 (at) aol (dot) com. I've collected quite a few illustrations of the Korean army for this period. I have a brochure from the Korean War Museum I can send you copies of the illustrations in it. I also have illustrations from a rare book on the History of the Korean Army.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2017 3:49 p.m. PST

Woohoo! I signed up at the War Museum… thank you RudyNelson.

Robert Burke you are too kind, thank you very much.

I love this place!!!

RudyNelson09 Oct 2017 4:43 p.m. PST

When I was researching my articles on Korean history and working on the Three Kingdom book and board game, it was a great site. Enjoy as Tango says. LOL

Skeptic09 Oct 2017 6:48 p.m. PST

Is this it, the War Memorial of Korea?

link

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2017 8:52 p.m. PST
Skeptic09 Oct 2017 9:18 p.m. PST

Thank you!

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP11 Oct 2017 6:29 a.m. PST

One last post here to thank Rudy for his direction to the Korean War Museum. AND to Robert for his offer (and sending) of photos, drawings, plates and video of the Imjin War Koreans. Priceless information that took years to acquire. And given freely… amazing! Thank you TMP!

RudyNelson11 Oct 2017 10:49 a.m. PST

Used to be back in the 1990s when I was doing my research, there were links to regional and local museums which have one or two items each. Also my brother was a member of the joint Chiefs staff in Korea. Their main hall was lined with a number of pieces of artwork from various wars. This used to be available on various official military websites. Maybe they were copies of artwork from the national museum. Enjoy the research, I did.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.