Help support TMP

"Nostalgia Gaming" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Old School Wargaming Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

648 hits since 5 Oct 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian06 Oct 2017 11:43 a.m. PST

What is nostalgia gaming for you?

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2017 12:31 p.m. PST

Playing old Milton Bradley games like Battle Cry, Dogfight, Broadside, Hit the Beach etc. Also Stratego. Simple fun games my brother & I played growing up. I recently re-acquired some & we have had fun playing them.

Ragbones Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2017 12:38 p.m. PST

Getting out my old Marx play sets (The Alamo, Battleground, Desert Fox) and playing with my grandson.

JimDuncanUK06 Oct 2017 12:51 p.m. PST

How far back do you have to go to find nostalgia. Most of my current games are 'old school', whatever that means.

I just hope the next game is as good as the last game which was as good as the previous game and so on.

The further back you go (50 years and counting) the harder it is to remember what a good time was had. Some good times will be lost forever as buddies pass on. I doubt I will pick up many more good buddies in the time I have left.

Gone Fishing Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2017 1:16 p.m. PST

TSATF with Ral Partha figures!

nevals06 Oct 2017 2:29 p.m. PST

Old Airfix plastic.

Timmo uk06 Oct 2017 2:32 p.m. PST

ECW with Minifigs.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Oct 2017 3:48 p.m. PST

Kriegspiel

D&D white box for "gaming".

For wargames Wake Island by Mayfair (early 80's).

Tabletop minis … TSATF.

Leadjunky Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2017 8:22 p.m. PST

Thinking, Man why did we ever quit playing xyz only to remember on turn four.

pbishop1207 Oct 2017 8:34 p.m. PST

Risk, circa 1966. I still have the old game with wooden pieces. Carried it around the world when I did a career in the USAF between 68 and 89.

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Oct 2017 12:07 p.m. PST

Nearest I get is to get out my Peter Laing 15mm medieval but I'd still use recent rules. IMHO they are generally better than those around when I bought them.

Dynaman878909 Oct 2017 7:05 a.m. PST

Gaming – have to be the old Plastic Army Men. Wargaming wise it would be original Squad Leader or Victory in the Pacific since they are my first two games. Miniatures wise (without miniatures) would be Command Decision.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP09 Oct 2017 7:22 a.m. PST

My old Marx sets. CLS, The original RRTF.

Part time gamer12 Oct 2017 10:44 p.m. PST

*ZuluPaul
Those were some fun games. what I'd give to have my old MB Dogfight and Broadside games back again. Ashamed we never appreciated them to hang on to them (as a rule).
Over the past few years I thought how great it would have been if they had done a Korean war version of Dogfight.

Recalling now, "Carrier Strike" was another fun one.
Not to forget, "Tank Battle" & "Chopper Strike", the miniatures are what really got me to buy'm. Which was good as few friends played those games.

*pbishop12
"Risk circa 1966". Man I had no idea it went back that far. Before I read your comment, I was going to say 'Battle Cry' was a likely fore runner to risk. Now more so the other way around.

Jefthing13 Oct 2017 10:13 a.m. PST

1/32 in the garden using Airfix, Timpo and whatever flavour of Britains you can get your hands on.

Asterix Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2017 6:55 a.m. PST

WW II gaming using Lionel Tarr's rules found in Featherstone's War Games.
20 mm Airfix figures and plastic tanks of roughly the same scale. (Don't remember who made them except they're from Austria.) Aircraft mostly from Airfix also plus a few from Aurora overlooking the vast difference in scales.

If I go back far enough: using mostly 54mm Britains, Johilco, and Dimestore figures. Rules a la Elder Brother who somehow usually won.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.