Help support TMP

"Regimental focus: Catachan" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

561 hits since 25 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Sep 2017 2:03 a.m. PST

link

Probably my least favourite guard regiment in terms of rules matching up with the figures. I could never really understand how these guys were, up until recently, running around with bigger muscles than space marines and wearing a wife-beater with a 5+ save.

I guess now they at least have a S4 but that makes them a little less guard like.

I thought the 3rd edition rules for them weren't bad. It seems like they are going to be a popular choice with the ability to re-roll random dice hits. I'm not sure how that is justified by the fluff exactly, maybe with flamers it makes sense but not so much with Leman Russ battle cannons.

PMC31726 Sep 2017 2:58 a.m. PST

Yeah, I think this is a rubbish interpretation of the Catachans. Codex: Catachans from 3rd Ed was the best by miles.

Bleah. Ah well. I don't play 'em so that's ok!

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Sep 2017 3:32 a.m. PST

Yeah, they need more stuff that makes them function like light infantry. Maybe a 6+ save instead of 5+, but getting some extra benefit from cover. Some ability to move through difficult terrain more easily or re-roll the dice when running.

Maybe the ability to retreat from combat and still shoot.

Stuff like that.

But as you said, I don't play 'em either.

Centurio Prime26 Sep 2017 4:31 a.m. PST

Agreed. The S4 in close combat is interesting but I really expected them to get some kind of extra cover or stealth benefit.

SpittingBristles26 Sep 2017 8:00 a.m. PST

Hard to judge if it's a good pick without seeing what the other regiments options are.

Not so keen on them making these guys as strong as a Space Marine in power armour. I think it would have perhaps been more logical to let them re-roll 1's to hit in the fight phase to show their focus on hand to hand fighting.

I like the re-roll of random number of attack weapons on vehicles (there's got to be a better term for that!), should make them pretty mean with Heavy flamers.

Oh and whilst looking at this seems like the Mordian Regiment stuff went up:
link

Looks like their Doctrine is kinda fairly weak. +1 to hit on overwatch if you're whole unit is in base to base seems pretty circumstantial.

It does however show that at least some of the regiments are getting unique officer orders. Which is kinda neat.

Syrinx026 Sep 2017 6:29 p.m. PST

My horde of IG are Catachan, Praetorian and Steel Legion. It will be interesting to see if all of them get individual options.

The Angry Piper Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2017 5:56 a.m. PST

Great to see the Mordians are getting some love again.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Sep 2017 10:16 a.m. PST

Looks like they put up the Vostroyans.

link

SpittingBristles27 Sep 2017 2:39 p.m. PST

Wow the Vostroyan Doctrine is pretty darn good. Not that I often find weapons out of range but the extra 3" on the rapid fire range is incredible.

Their special Voice of Command order is fantastic as well.

I can see a lot of 'counts as Vostroyan' armies happening.

Looking forwards to see what rules the other regiments get.

The H Man29 Sep 2017 8:12 p.m. PST

Catachans seem based on Rambo and the chaps from predator to me. Something allowing them to be beaten to a pulp, then come back from the brink for a win seems appropriate. Maybe some kind of free attack when they die? Or give them an extra wound?

emckinney Supporting Member of TMP30 Sep 2017 9:18 a.m. PST

Catchans seem as though they should be strategically situational. They get deployed in jungles, death world's, swamps, maybe heavy woods. Give them the ability to place a ton more appropriate terrain on the table, maybe allow them to prevent placing buildings on the table, etc. You'd have to limit their regimental abilities, make them more lightly armed, whatever.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.