Help support TMP

"US Army Engineer Depot Company?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

414 hits since 7 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Murphy Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Sep 2017 6:45 p.m. PST

Okay so I've found the military discharge papers of my Uncle from WWII who thought Mark Clark was the best thing since sliced bread since the awarded that good old country boy of my uncle a bronze star and a purple heart.

The unit he was assigned to was the 458th Engineer Depot Company in Italy.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1: What the heck does that type of unit do?

2: Who were they attached to?

3: Any unit histories?

My google fu has only turned up one thing and it didn't say much about it.

Thanks in advance.

Personal logo Mardaddy Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2017 7:35 p.m. PST

Engineer Depot Company. I found this:

7 officers, 202 enlisted men

"Its primary mission was the operation of an engineer depot or other engineer supply point in a theatre of operations.  It sometimes was a part of a large special engineer depot or the engineer section of a general depot; sometimes it operated as a separate engineer supply unit."

link

There is a 458th Engineer Bn (USA Reserves), Military.com has a teaser on their lineage, "The 458th Engineer Battalion (C)(W) was activated at Camp Swift, Texas on 30 December 1943 as the …" but you have to sign in as a member to see anything more. link

I found a couple of excepts from books, they references the 458th Eng Depot Co as taking over the Fifth Army depots, and being in charge of all administration of engineer depots in the "PBS" (Italian Peninsular Base Section) Scrolling through the pages, it comprised mostly the south western coastal area of Italy.

picture

Personal logo Murphy Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Sep 2017 7:56 p.m. PST

Thanks Mardaddy. Yeah that is all I found. His discharge shows some of the combat record, and his awards…

Personal logo Mardaddy Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2017 8:07 p.m. PST

I went though the units comprising the Fifth Army in Italy during WW2, no mention of the 458th, so they might have been more of a Theater HQ unit, not a moving, operational unit like the Fifth Army.

14Bore09 Sep 2017 2:36 a.m. PST

My FiL was a Combat Engineer which I have been trying to learn everything I can about. Would think this was the backup of those units. If so being a second line unit didn't always mean in a safe zone.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP09 Sep 2017 8:41 a.m. PST

The depot company ran the supply point for the front line combat engineer units. The depot company would run the marshalling or "warehouse" area of all engineering related supplies arriving by truck, train, or water. From there, supplies that were requested would be loaded on to trucks or rail and sent to forward units.

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP09 Sep 2017 9:15 a.m. PST

Have you tried to get his military personnel file from the National Archives Military Personnel Records Center?

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis

That might give you more information, especially the citations for his Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

Good luck!

Jim

BuckeyeBob09 Sep 2017 2:31 p.m. PST

found this which may be helpful
link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.