Help support TMP

"My Second World War Problem" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

1,129 hits since 2 Sep 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Brigadier Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2017 8:56 p.m. PST

I have a WW2 problem. I collect miniatures for WW2 in 3mm, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm and 1/72. At one time you could add 25mm to that too but I abandoned that scale and sold it off.

I've tried to rationalize it thusly:
3mm Division
6mm Regiment & Company
10mm Battalion & Company
15mm Company
1/72 Regiment & Company
54mm Collectible Toy Soldiers

However that is not strictly followed. I almost settled on 6mm once as my go to scale for the period but the others always draw me back. Again I almost abandoned 15mm but I can't pull the trigger on that.

How many of you conduct WW2 battles in multiple scales? How have you resolved similar issues? Thanks for any replies.

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP02 Sep 2017 9:13 p.m. PST

1/87 is the one true scale, in depth NWE collection, and most beloved.

A small DAK force in 1/285 from when the club was doing that.

Some 28mm NWE for Bolt Action at the club.

Sizeable collection of 15mm tanks for Girls und Panzer; was more affordable than adding that many more 1/87 tanks.

Holding the line at 4 scales seems pretty reasonable.

jwebster02 Sep 2017 9:18 p.m. PST

You have a problem

How about turning this on its head. What does collecting multiple scales prevent you from doing ?

When you understand that you can start pruning your collection or just keep it as it stands.

Personally I would do 28mm (matches some other scenery I have) for small skirmish and either 6mm or 3mm for larger actions.

Good luck

John

Personal logo doctorphalanx Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 12:05 a.m. PST

28mm for skirmish – never painted or used (1:1 scale).
15mm infantry armies for Crossfire (1 base = 1 squad).
10mm (1 base = 1 platoon). Never used and now destined for Rommel (1 base = 1 company).
3mm – planned for Rommel.

Fairly rationalised if not fully utilised or realized!

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 2:39 a.m. PST

I have a similar problem in EVERY period I'm interested in!

I have settled on 6mm for BIG battles, and 28mm for small battles and just collecting nice figures….

mildbill03 Sep 2017 3:49 a.m. PST

I use 15mm only but if I were to start over would use 10mm instead. If my buddies get me to play bolt action then I will use 25mm for those rules.

redbanner414503 Sep 2017 4:59 a.m. PST

I went to all 15mm. Multiple terrain scales are too hard to store.

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 6:16 a.m. PST

We went to all-28mm….apart from a large 54mm collection of course….

Lascaris03 Sep 2017 6:23 a.m. PST

These days I do everything in either 28mm or 15mm. I tried to get into 10mm but just didn't like the figures. I've done 6mm but decided that having a 3rd scale wasn't worth the effort so pitched them.

Personal logo Brigadier Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 6:53 a.m. PST

How about turning this on its head. What does collecting multiple scales prevent you from doing ?

When you understand that you can start pruning your collection or just keep it as it stands.

Thank you John that was very helpful.

I have a similar problem in EVERY period I'm interested in!

Yes, same with me as above I have done similar especially in Fantasy, SyFy and Colonial warfare. However I had no issue settling on 15mm for SYW. The ACW I have gone from 28mm to 15mm to 3mm and now back to 15mm while keeping 3mm.

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 7:27 a.m. PST

I have 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, and 28mm. the 20 and 28 are going to be used for CoC or BA games, 15mm I am not really sure but my friends were using their 15mm FoW stuff for Crossfire so that is a possibility. the 10mm I am going to use for games of Spearhead, BC, or Battlefront WW2.

Personal logo Vis Bellica Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 7:37 a.m. PST

I made a decision thirty years ago to stick to one scale: 15mm.

It's been tough to keep to the rule (especially when I look at 28mm CoC games) but I've stuck to it.

steamingdave4703 Sep 2017 10:18 a.m. PST

I have 6mm, 1/144 (aka 10 mm) and 20mm (really about 23mm and probably 1/72). Playing even a brigade with 1/72 would need a very large area- tend to use them for reinfirced platoon games. The 6mm are good for battalion upwards. If I had to fix on one, it would be 1/144.

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 11:13 a.m. PST

Also, if you really like playing WW2 games, then this is a benefit, not a problem!

So many more ways to enjoy the games =^,^=

UshCha Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2017 12:51 p.m. PST

I do game in two scales. 10mm is my main scale Modern and WW2. Its ideal for the company and above at close to 1 to 1, with bases of 2 to 8 figures depending on role and weapons.

I use 1/72 for small games (OK for early war where the ranges are small anyway.) and urban games. Urban with 10mm figures can be a bit of a pain and perhaps the small size is not great, you playon a very small board. At 1/72 the terrain is the same but the board is bigger.

6mm is not my thing but I guess its small and cheap so getting rid is not a big asset realization and the storage space you get back probably is not worth getting rid of it.

I can see a conflict between 15mm and 1/72. The difference in scale is not vast. We chose 1/144 (10mm) as it takes up a 1/4 of the area of 1/72 which is a worthwhile gain and the detail at 10mm is acceptable (you can still turn turrets on small vehicles). The gap between 15 and 1/72 is not so great. You need to consider the reasons you originally chose such close scales. You can probably get most things in either scale so either could go for the chop ;-).

Fred Cartwright03 Sep 2017 1:42 p.m. PST

For me it was a rationalisation across periods. What scales do I game in other periods. Answer was 15 and 28mm so I settled on those 2 for WW2 and got rid of my 20mm. That saved space on terrain. So for example Russian rural buildings changed very little in centuries so the same buildings would do for horse and musket to WW2.

Bunkermeister Supporting Member of TMP05 Sep 2017 12:11 p.m. PST

"1/87 is the one true scale, in depth NWE collection, and most beloved."

How true. I do 1/72nd scale in ships, troops, and aircraft. 1/87th scale for vehicles. Roco, Paul Heiser Models, Fidelis Models, Armortec, Boley, Trident, Preiser, and many others. Check them out on my blog, Bunker Talk.

What does having all these scales prevent you from doing? It prevents you from having a massive army in one scale. It forces you to have terrain in multiple scales. It forces you to buy the same platoon over and over again, instead of adding new figure types.

Americans have infantry in early, mid, and late war versions, armored infantry, Rangers, First Special Forces, Paratroopers mid and late war, and several other figure types. In 1/72nd scale plastics with a few metal figures thrown in, I have them all. In vast numbers.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
https://bunkermeister.blogspot.com

Lion in the Stars05 Sep 2017 3:43 p.m. PST

IMO, the big problem with multiple scales is needing terrain for each scale (at least buildings in each scale).

For the most part, though, I've managed to stick with 28mm scifi (Infinity, though 40k is attempting a comeback) and RPG, and 15mm for everything else.

number413 Sep 2017 8:30 p.m. PST

Simple: having just turned 60 and with nigh on half a century of painting tiny figures under my belt, anything smaller than the One True Scale of 1/72 is all but invisible to the naked eye now, and anything bigger takes up too much damned space!

wizbangs18 Sep 2017 7:21 a.m. PST

I started with 28mm & 6mm to cover skirmish & regimental level games. Like number4 stated above, my eye sight was getting too bad for me to be able to appreciate or identify the 6mm vehicles and I had fits working with tweezers trying to mount individual infantry platoons.

However, I wasn't satisfied with skirmish level games because they lacked the variety of battalion level games. My compromise is 15mm and I sold off the rest to finance this change in direction.

If you are not a "true to ground scale" advocate & can get passed the "selective compression" methodology used in Flames of War it is a good scale to play in (mind you, I play historical scenarios & we have house rules to keep the aesthetics of the game proper ie. no tank parking lots)

repaint18 Sep 2017 8:30 p.m. PST

15mm (for FOW but could do other rules)

US, Germans, Russians

->fully painted

28mm (for Bolt Action)
French, German, Japanese, Russians

-> fully painted

3mm (for Rommel, WW2 Piquet)
US
-> fully painted

Germans
->on the painting board

Russians
-> under consideration

6mm and 10mm scales are dropped. 10mm mostly because it takes me as much time to paint as 15mm and the scale is not played around me.

6mm is too big for what I intend to do: for individual level, I prefer 15mm for operational level, 3mm gives me more high level feel when I group three tanks on a base. This being said, I love the look of 6mm and could revisit them at one point when I am done with 3mm. Maybe.

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2017 4:05 a.m. PST

54mm…you know it's mad, but who cares?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.