Help support TMP

"FWS Top 10: Most Influential Military Sci-Fi Works " Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

367 hits since 31 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP31 Aug 2017 9:08 p.m. PST

"There are some works in fiction, no matter the media form, that are touchstones of inspiration for fans and creators. We creators of currents military science fiction have all been influenced by a number of other creators and works in our special sub-genre of the broad genre of science fiction, and I thought was high time that FWS made a list of the Top 10 most influential Military SF works. Bear in mind that some of these are more current and they are influencing not only us currently, but the future generations of MSF creatos to come…"
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Huscarle Supporting Member of TMP01 Sep 2017 6:07 a.m. PST

Hmm, I would have thought that Hammers Slammers, Pournelle's CoDominium, or even Dickson's Dorsai might be listed. Very surprised that BSG is #3 & Terminator series is omitted.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP01 Sep 2017 6:25 a.m. PST

While these may have influenced the writer of the blog, I wouldn't consider them to be the "most influencial works" in the military SF genre.

Dave

Oberlindes Sol LIC01 Sep 2017 7:45 a.m. PST

The blog loses some credibility with this subject heading:

4. Star Wars/Star Trek

That's as jarring a combination as "sushi/chili". They are two different things, each good, but not to be confused or mixed together.

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART01 Sep 2017 8:54 a.m. PST

I go with Hammer's slammers and the forever war. But….Ian Banks view of interstellar war remains my favorite of all times. David Drake had the greatest " Handwavium" weapon of all times in the power gun but Banks had the best universe imaginable. Ruled by AI and major wars done in milliseconds.

ROUWetPatchBehindTheSofa01 Sep 2017 1:09 p.m. PST

'Various tabletop games' seriously, you couldn't give a name? Surely Trav' is the obvious one! Wouldn't have put Trek or Star Wars in there at all – none of it's military sci-fi, way too space opera. Personally I'd suggest that chunks of Smith's Lensman series are crunchier. I find the inclusion of 40K a bit meh, given how derivative it is, I might have been a bit more forgiving if it had listed some of the 40K novels. Battletech would be better option. Drake seems an obvious omission. I'd also swap Space Above and Beyond for BSG.

Dwindling Gravitas01 Sep 2017 5:56 p.m. PST

Asher's "Polity" universe = Banks on steroids!

emckinney01 Sep 2017 7:56 p.m. PST

I'm a big fan of Traveller, but its influence seems to have waned. Yes, there's Firefly, and there's a bit of a hard sci fi renaissance, but much of that isn't really Traveller-y (either in the basic technology and adventure-type sense or in similarities to the Imperium).

Hammer's Slammers has been *enormously* influential, but The Forever War is really a dead end. It's a classic, it's still read, but I don't see much that has grown from it or built on it.

Dezmond02 Sep 2017 4:26 a.m. PST

Wing Commander, possibly.

Sargonarhes02 Sep 2017 5:33 a.m. PST

I tend to let my sci-fi universes lean more towards Legend of Galactic Heroes, Lensman and Babylon 5.
Sure the influences of Gundam, Star Blazers and Starship Troopers is there.

But I've been trying to cut out any Star Wars and Star Trek influence.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.