Help support TMP

"Ammunition Counters" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

706 hits since 30 Aug 2017
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

AC196330 Aug 2017 10:27 a.m. PST

I'm putting together two PBI armies, one German and one British.

The German platoons can be equipped with Panzerfausts, up to a maximum of two for every rifle base.

I would like to indicate this by have a base with a couple of Panzerfaust armed firgures and a counter to show the remaining rounds.

The best counter I have come up with so far is a double MDF dice frame that will hold two 7mm dice.

Obviously I could just keep sets of counters or tiddlywinks for each platoon by the side of the table but I like my idea better.

But is anyone aware of a better counter to go on the base rather than using dice?

Thanks,

Andy

Personal logo Unlucky General Supporting Member of TMP30 Aug 2017 11:37 a.m. PST

A few years back I made a stack of numbered counters by gluing 1cm square printed out paper on 3 mm MDF. Just numbers one through to five for me but I find myself using them for all sorts of rules – generally for fatigue or casualties but you can use different counters to count down or up. I've got used to them and don't find them particularly intrusive.

BuckeyeBob30 Aug 2017 1:32 p.m. PST

you could have a single PF soldier that you place on the base (or next to it) to show that the base is PF armed. Soldier facing forward is 2 PF's and facing to the rear would be 1 PF.

AC196330 Aug 2017 2:46 p.m. PST

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think the single PF figure will work that well. Although max number of PFs is 2x number of rifle bases, they are owned by the platoon as a whole. So one rifle base could fire all the PFs if required, not limited to two. So the count needs to be maintained at platoon level. That was why I was thinking of single base of PFs per platoon with a frame holding two, maybe three 7mm D6s.

Just checking whether there is something better than dice to maintain the count.

Andy

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Aug 2017 3:06 p.m. PST

I like dials, flocked appropriately. For Fausts just put a faust armed figure on the base!

link

picture

Fire at Will30 Aug 2017 11:02 p.m. PST

In 20mm I use counters with SHQ panzerfausts (sold seperately) mounted on them to keep check.

AC196331 Aug 2017 11:38 p.m. PST

These circular counters look nice. I have a couple of reservations, not showstoppers just something I need to consider

1 – the link is for a US supplier. Prefer to provide a UK one. A US retailer is not out of the question but often becomes too expensive with shipping and import taxes/fees (if order is over £15.00 GBP).

2 – in theory I need a count upto 16. I say in theory – this is based on a maximum of two PFs per rifle/smg base and in PBI a late war German infantry platoon can have up to six rifle and two smg bases. In reality though, you probably wouldn't have a platoon that big and even if you did you probably wouldn't pack it out with maximum PFs. So a count of 10 or 12 should be plenty.

Cheers,

Andy

Rob Richardson01 Sep 2017 11:21 a.m. PST

If you have a friend with a 3d printer, you could have them print a plateful of panzerfausts. Having them commercially printed would be prohibitively expensive, but DIY, 40 of them wouldn't cost more than a dollar. Print time would probably be a day.

Free .stl files are available, here for example: link Scaling up or down is really easy.

Then make small bases with either one or two PF on them.

AC196304 Sep 2017 8:57 a.m. PST

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the idea. As it happened I have recently bought a 3D Printer – it is on the slow boat from China.

But I'm not entirely sure what you mean. At first I thought you meant to print a load of PFs (Just the rocket launcher itself)to use as tokens but then you said put two on a base so not sure what the idea was.

In 15mm the PFs would be tiny so I Don't think they would work well as individual tokens.

Cheers,

Andy

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.