Help support TMP

"Best Matt Sealer for Metal Miniatures???" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

441 hits since 23 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

maninthemoon1965 Inactive Member24 Aug 2017 7:39 p.m. PST

Hey Everyone,
What is the best Matt Sealer for Metal Miniatures??? I am using Vallejo Model Paint.
Thanks,
Sean

Captain Avatar24 Aug 2017 8:06 p.m. PST

Testors Dull Coat

attilathepun4724 Aug 2017 8:14 p.m. PST

I agree with Captain Avatar.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian24 Aug 2017 8:15 p.m. PST

It depends on how 'flat' you want your figures to be. Dull Cote is one of the flattest.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2017 4:20 a.m. PST

I use Midge lodge matte. It is brush on, and fairly flat.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2017 5:15 a.m. PST

I use Dull Coat BUT, the brush on stuff. Way too humid here to spray it on. FROST will get ya(!) if you spray it outside. Works great!

Sudwind Inactive Member25 Aug 2017 9:51 a.m. PST

Something I found that works well….and is cheaper than dullcote, is Liquitex matte medium. It seems to be akin to a diluted white glue. I dilute it less than 1:1 with water and even will add a drop of black or brown paint or an ink to it. It sits in recesses and dries matte. Don't get hung up on the whitish color when it is wet. I brush it on and if you add the ink or a little black paint, it can provide shading and sealing in one step, although I still think superior results are obtained by a proper wash, then sealing with diluted matte medium.

This stuff is actually meant to keep paint from drying too fast, but I stumbled on an alternate use for the product.

rmaker25 Aug 2017 10:15 a.m. PST

Ceramcoat Flat Varnish. I personally prefer the Satin, but that's because I like the "toy soldier" look.

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP25 Aug 2017 11:54 a.m. PST

Dullcote

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP26 Aug 2017 5:14 a.m. PST

Testors Dull Coat

Striker26 Aug 2017 5:17 a.m. PST

My go-to is Dullcote spray can for minis and a hardware store brand for terrain. I just started using the Army Painter shades and it took me about 4 coats of Dullcote to knock off the shine to a level I like. Has anyone used Dullcote brush-on through an airbrush? I've read a lot of modeler articles that mention it but not it doesn't come up often in minis discussions.

davbenbak Supporting Member of TMP26 Aug 2017 6:22 a.m. PST

Crazy question, and maybe I should start a separate thread, but…has anyone considered using the As Seen On TV Flexi-seal which now comes in clear spray instead of black?

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP26 Aug 2017 6:52 a.m. PST

davbenbak you need to stay off the QVC network!

Ceterman Supporting Member of TMP26 Aug 2017 3:48 p.m. PST

Dullcote. Just don't use it outside on humid days. Has worked GREAT for me for over 30 years. Only twice have it frosted on me & I live in Virginia. It's humid as hell here in the Summer too. Although if it does "frost" on you, just wait till it's not humid, respray again & it fixes itself. Or it did for me, both times.

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART17 Sep 2017 2:51 p.m. PST

I'm with Sudwind. I've had the best with the Liquitex and it is far more inexpensive than the 'miniatures' brands.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.