Help support TMP

"Napoleon and Grouchy" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

573 hits since 21 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0121 Aug 2017 4:06 p.m. PST

If you want the book at home… (smile)

link

Amicalement
Armand

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2017 6:07 a.m. PST

link

Good article on the subject of Grouchy's actions

Tango0122 Aug 2017 10:47 a.m. PST

Thanks!.

Amicalement
Armand

Brechtel198 Supporting Member of TMP23 Aug 2017 10:34 a.m. PST

I would highly recommend instead Andrew Field's book on the same subject.

Tango0123 Aug 2017 11:08 a.m. PST

Thanks also Kevin!.

Amicalement
Armand

huevans01123 Aug 2017 1:56 p.m. PST

To hijack the thread, Field's earlier books on 1815 are available from amazon.ca in kindle form for under $3.00 CAD each!!!

You can't beat that price!

Brechtel198 Supporting Member of TMP24 Aug 2017 5:55 a.m. PST

They are also highly recommended. They are excellent with a very high level of scholarship.

Digby Green26 Aug 2017 4:46 p.m. PST

The chances of this book or any of Paul Dawson's promised 5 books coming out on August 30th are as small as Napoleons chances of winning the 1814 campaign.

I do have two of Paul's books, and they are very well researched. I also have Andrew Fields 3 books on Waterloo.

I think Pen & Sword are a bit misleading when they say that this book (Paul Dawson's Grouchy) will be the first detailed book in English using French sources, when that was the whole basis of Andrews book.

Paul Dawson says that he visited the French archives last year and was given access to previously never viewed French documents! What were those archivists doing for the the last 200 years!

Digby Green26 Aug 2017 4:50 p.m. PST

According to the Book Depository, Paul's book on Ney at Quatre Bras is also coming out on the 30th August. Followed by Napoleon at Waterloo in September.

If I was the publisher, I would spread them out a bit, to gain maximum impact and allow purchasers time to save up some money.

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2017 6:07 p.m. PST

Indeed. Mr Dawson would not know who saw what when in the archives. He would have taken someone else's word for it. In any event it adds to the body of work of interpretation of events past. And that is typically a good thing.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.