Help support TMP

"Does anyone collect stamps anymore?" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Utter Drivel Message Board

563 hits since 13 Aug 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 2:18 p.m. PST

Or is it a silent watch until the last philatelists die?

I think eBay and email put an end to it.
That and the horrible designs of American stamps since they stopped engraving them, and the ludicrous inflation of the price of a first class stamp.

Chris Wimbrow13 Aug 2017 2:49 p.m. PST

I've still got my collection, but after generally giving it up sometime earlier, the sticker instead of lick 'em style killed it for me. (I know, just cut 'em out. But it's not the same as soaking them off the envelope and flattening them after they dry.)

Many of mine were free, or low cost, for being used/cancelled. Loved me some big bags o' foreign used stamps.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 2:54 p.m. PST

Yeah. Stickers are lame.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 3:37 p.m. PST

What happens when the ultra rare $10,000 USD price tag stamp is no longer sought after ?

picture

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 4:32 p.m. PST

Interesting question. My dad was a stamp Collector all his life and left me a huge Collection most of which I sold a couple years ago with no problem. I did keep a mint set of SOuth African stamps comemmorating the Anglo-Zulu war. Whether there are new, active collectors I have no idea. I would suspect there may be.

Personal logo jhancock Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 5:10 p.m. PST

My father has the same concern about his classic car collection. When his generation is gone, will anyone care or desire to own, maintain, and drive them. Assuming it is still legal!

I know my miniatures will have no value, so I enjoy them now.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2017 5:38 p.m. PST

My ex father in law was a stamp collector. He used to speak at national conventions. He stopped a few years ago because of declining health. That said, I don't think the bobby is what it used to be, at least among amateur collectors.

Glengarry513 Aug 2017 6:08 p.m. PST

My brother is an obsessive collector, he even works at a stamp store. There are still small groups of stamp collectors in our area, getting grayer by the minute.

myxemail13 Aug 2017 6:44 p.m. PST

My father still does, and he is rather compulsive about it. He is quite old now and he cannot do much else. Too bad he has no interest in gaming

Mike

bsrlee14 Aug 2017 2:59 a.m. PST

Another hobby that is suffering from 'greying'.

I found that many Postal Services are just issuing adhesive labels with the receipt instead of giving the customer stamps to put on the parcel – 20 x 5 pound UK stamps was a lot nicer than a mangy label, specially when the clerk forgot to cancel them.

Heisler14 Aug 2017 9:43 a.m. PST

I still actively collect stamps, although I limit my self to maintaining my Norwegian collection along with Norwegian local posts.

That being said there are 89 stamp shows occurring between now and the end of the year, as listed on the American Philatelic Society website across the US. I have no idea how big some of these really are by at least one of the Colorado shows takes up all the convention space at one of the hotels that has about 70,000 square feet available.

I suspect that there are no where near that many game conventions happening between now and the end of the year.

goragrad14 Aug 2017 12:28 p.m. PST

Whatever else you do stay away from Postal Commemorative Society and the like – they may have pretty presentation and binders to put them in, but their extremely overpriced and have almost no collection value.

According to a couple of philately sites when they get some they give them away to aspiring collectors to spark interest in the real hobby of stamp collecting.

RudyNelson14 Aug 2017 12:46 p.m. PST

When I was young, I got a large packet of medieval men in armor stamps from Poland. I collected uniforms in stamps.

jdpintex14 Aug 2017 12:47 p.m. PST

Nope, to hard to peel off of the computer. :)

Sundance14 Aug 2017 7:12 p.m. PST

I collect, but active off and on – mostly off lately. That said, I collect pre-1970s mostly for US and Canada and "it depends" for a variety of other countries/topics.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2017 6:59 a.m. PST

I was wondering this, myself. It's a somewhat steriotypified hobby, but not one we really hear much of anymore.

I was also wondering how the model train hobby is faring.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP15 Aug 2017 10:07 a.m. PST

Stamps collectors are seriously graying because stamps are being replaced by barcodes. A friend of mine was a dealer and got of of the business.

AFAIK railroaders are still going strong. It's an old man's hobby (you need money, space and time usually) but I've been to a few train shows and they have a load of kids there. Ditto train museums: filled with kids. Gray hairs are usually grandparents.

Elbow Mac16 Aug 2017 11:59 a.m. PST

When I was at school everyone collected. I collected first day covers for many years but have stopped.
I have a collection of UK stamps and a fairly complete collection of Japanese up to the 1980s which I am re-mounting properly, trouble is the paper and mounts cost more than the stamps are worth now.
My Dad passed on his collection of Vatican ones and his father's collection which are mounted randomly packed together on graph paper but are mostly pre WW2. My retirement job is to sort and re-mount all 7000 or so (if I ever get to retire)

Zephyr116 Aug 2017 2:20 p.m. PST

Long ago, I picked up boxes of stamps at an estate sale, sorted out the best examples to keep (the lot even with those big stamp collector books), then later 'donated' the leftovers * books to a charity thrift store. Somewhere, someone else had the same enjoyment of sorting through 4000+ French & foreign stamps. (I did keep some big sheets of Romanian tax stamps.) But as far as continuing collecting, I gave up on stamps and started collecting 80's Citadel minis instead… ;-)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.