Help support TMP

"Looking for a board game to drive a space campaign" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

790 hits since 28 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Lascaris29 Jul 2017 2:44 p.m. PST

Title pretty much says it all. Looking for recommendations for a board game that would serve as the engine to run a Firestorm Armada campaign. Help is appreciated.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2017 3:08 p.m. PST

Imperium by GDW

Lascaris29 Jul 2017 3:11 p.m. PST

Would the Avalanche Press reprint work as well? Big difference in price on Ebay.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2017 3:22 p.m. PST

Of possible interest?

link

link

link

link

link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2017 4:16 p.m. PST

Imperium by GDW is available as a download on Wargames Vault.
link

Calico Bill29 Jul 2017 5:06 p.m. PST

Dark Nebula might work even better. Essentially the same rules, but you can arrange the maps to provide a star map more like you'd want it. Also available from Wargames Vault. Same price. A free and more printer friendly version available at Boardgame Geek.

KSmyth29 Jul 2017 5:58 p.m. PST

Another vote for Imperium.

agrippavips29 Jul 2017 8:48 p.m. PST

Space Empires IV from GMT. Handles 4 empires in a game.

link

MHoxie30 Jul 2017 1:01 a.m. PST

Starfire III is on Wargame Vault:

link

They also have New Empires (a later version) that's more complicated:

link

FABET01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jul 2017 6:07 a.m. PST

Stellar Conquest.

auction

link

link

williamb30 Jul 2017 6:23 a.m. PST

Regarding Space Empires 4X, GMT Games has just re-published it at $65 USD as of the end of this month.
link

there is also Twilight Imperium
link

Less expensive on BoardgameGeek which also lists the two expansions.
link

Lascaris30 Jul 2017 8:53 a.m. PST

Thanks guys. I own Space Empires 4, I just didn't think it was a great fit for a military space campaign, more of a 4X space game. I went ahead and purchased Imperium off of Ebay. It was relatively cheap and hopefully will work. If it isn't quite right I'll take a peek at some of the others that have been mentioned.

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP30 Jul 2017 12:02 p.m. PST

Pretty good choice; closer to 'strategy' rather 'grand strategy', Space Empires is definitely the latter.

I will mention a couple of games I've played around with, but not really played-as-campaign for an insystem 'operational' game. The old SPI Battlefleet Mars and Buck Rogers boardgames had solar system maps that I thought it'd be fun to run battles in.

SPI's Starforce is another multi-system game that wouldn't be TOO hard to use as campaign skeleton. Three-D space, mind you.

If someone DOES apply FA construction/point logic to Space Empires, I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!

Doug

Doug

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP31 Jul 2017 8:05 a.m. PST

Not strictly boardgames as much as campaign game engines, there's also Victory By Any Means and Starfire's Admiral's Challenge. Not sure the latter is still available, but it's a massively stripped down version of their old Imperial Starfire, basically working from the premise that the space empires already exist and are now fighting. So it's based on managing your resources (not losing them) and getting to battles.

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP31 Jul 2017 11:00 a.m. PST

Yeah, VBAM prolly is more 4X oriented, but is intended as a 'drop in your own starship tactical rules' system. Has abstracted combat rules, but adjusting to your tactical was a bit beyond me.

I'll have to look for the Admiral's Challenge; definitely sounds like the 'strategy' level I imply above.

I've an old copy of FA around and will check, but I'm a bit surprised that wasn't an option there. Even FT 2nd had a limited 'campaign' in the book.

Doug

dmebust Supporting Member of TMP31 Jul 2017 11:14 a.m. PST

Imperium by GDW gets another vote. We have had a blast using Full Thrust for the individual battles.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP31 Jul 2017 12:25 p.m. PST

Admirals' Challenge is still available from SDS as a download, probably the Classic version, but with a bit of work you can convert it to any tabletop tactical system. You just need to figure out how to convert build points from one to the other, and maybe make sure the FTL movement system works if you don't use warp points.

link

I think a small game of VBAM would work ok with pre-existing empires, you wouldn't want to start with the Galactic Empire or Federation.

thedrake Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member11 Aug 2017 11:58 a.m. PST

I have used Avalon Hill's older game Stellar Conquest for a solo Full Thrust space campaign,based on the suggestions from:

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.