Help support TMP

"Is painting relaxing?" Topic

52 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

889 hits since 27 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Green Tiger Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 2:17 a.m. PST

I was reading an article in WSS this morning where painting model figures was likened to that colouring people do for relaxation. I enjoy painting but wouldn't say it was relaxing – in fact it can be hard work… what do you lot reckon?

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 2:36 a.m. PST

For the most part I find it relaxing.

Dynaman878928 Jul 2017 2:46 a.m. PST

I find painting relaxing. Filing, glueing, snipping flash, etc, not so much.

advocate28 Jul 2017 2:49 a.m. PST

Yes.

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 2:58 a.m. PST

Yes. I can make myself stressed by it if I want but I choose not to. It's never work.

steamingdave4728 Jul 2017 3:05 a.m. PST

Generally pretty relaxing, agree with Dynaman about the prep stuff though. Only time it's not relaxing is when I realise that the cavalry brigade I promised to take to a game in four days time is still only at the primer stage!

warwell28 Jul 2017 3:24 a.m. PST

No. I find it a pain

Karellian Knight28 Jul 2017 3:38 a.m. PST

It is very relaxing, put on something to listen to, and paint for a few hours. Bliss.

ccmatty Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 3:48 a.m. PST

I am with Karellian Knight. Paint, music…peace.

razuse Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 3:51 a.m. PST

an escape, no question…and a sense of accomplishment

Doug MSC Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 3:57 a.m. PST

Yes it is relaxing and very enjoyable also.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 4:02 a.m. PST

Yes, I enjoy it and look forward to it…. I just wish I was better at it.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian28 Jul 2017 4:03 a.m. PST

yup

Atomic Floozy28 Jul 2017 4:19 a.m. PST

For me, it depends on the figure. Most of the time it is relaxing, but if it is a figure I'm really not interested in, it can seem like it takes forever. I have some gnolls on the painting table at the moment that I just have to force myself to paint because I need them for a game.

Timmo uk28 Jul 2017 5:13 a.m. PST

Yes. If I stop enjoying it or feel it has become a chore I stop and wait until I want to return. Currently I have no wish to paint another figure but that will change.

Dadster Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:13 a.m. PST

Extremely relaxing. Wish I had more time to paint – another three years and I will :)

I wish I played more – or more apt at all. I normally paint everything up, get terrain and associated items, snap a few photos – and then nothing. After a few months time to sell everything….. Argh what a cycle!

JLA10528 Jul 2017 5:16 a.m. PST

It is when it's going well.

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:18 a.m. PST

Very relaxing. I can transport myself away from stress and care for a few hours! I even like basing figures, too.

Personal logo Chuckaroobob Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:25 a.m. PST

No, painting is not relaxing. I wish it were. It's not fun at all, but a necessary task.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:30 a.m. PST

No, not at all.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:44 a.m. PST

Oh, yes. It's simple, mechanical and I get a real sense of accomplishment from finished armies and units. Researching uniforms, or hand-painting flags, sometimes not so much.

Tom Reed Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:52 a.m. PST

For me it is. And I really need to get started back and do some more. WHat I really hate is building terrain, and oit shows.

Moonbeast Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 5:58 a.m. PST

I am the polar opposite of Dynaman8789. Painting is a chore and a burden, converting and trimming figures is relaxing.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 6:08 a.m. PST

No, I suck at painting. Designing and casting the figures are much more relaxing to me. So all you guys that find it relaxing contact me I will provide you with plenty of opportuneties to relax. grin

Dave

Personal logo jeffreyw3 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 6:10 a.m. PST

Definitely hard work, but then I'm constantly trying to up my game in terms of technique and results. If I concentrated more on the "play" end of the hobby, and just basecoat/wash/hilight, it would be more "fun," I guess--but certainly less challenging and interesting.

joeltks Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 6:27 a.m. PST

Varies all over the place. As many have said sometimes it's a chore, sometimes it's fun and relaxing; just depends on the circumstances and the models or even what stage of painting is being done.

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 6:28 a.m. PST

Absolutely relaxing for me. I use it to unwind from other stressors in my life.

Bill N28 Jul 2017 6:38 a.m. PST

No. It is a necessary evil in order to field armies that look decent.

advocate28 Jul 2017 6:48 a.m. PST

I'll expand my comment. I'm not a great painter, and as I prefer armies to a few figures, I often end up with a lot to paint. Sometimes it's a bit daunting; but when I'm actually applying paint to figure, I don't have to think about anything else. And I get a good feeling at the end of the process, whether that is finishing a unit or an army.
And the second time I play with the army (the first time, it loses).

Captain Cook28 Jul 2017 7:26 a.m. PST

Yes, except when painting Napoleonic French.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 7:45 a.m. PST

Yes

Rich Bliss Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 7:54 a.m. PST

For me, yes it is.

Buck21528 Jul 2017 7:59 a.m. PST

Hell, no! I come up with swear words I never new existed when I make a mistake or the coloring and shading/highlights are not "right"…

andymac28 Jul 2017 8:00 a.m. PST

I use painting as a form of therapy to help with my mental health issues, I find it relaxing, a good distraction and have found it also reduces my heart rate. I am Ex forces and now teach other ex service personnel with issues to paint figures. The group is doing realy well.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 8:07 a.m. PST

Yes.

Extrabio1947 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 8:28 a.m. PST

For me, it's a form of meditation. Grab a brush and Zen out.

attilathepun4728 Jul 2017 8:48 a.m. PST

No, I hate the repetitiveness. Painting one figure is creative and interesting. Painting twenty just the same is boring and tedious. However, I want to say, "Good for you!," to andymac above.

Oberlindes Sol LIC28 Jul 2017 9:07 a.m. PST

I find all aspects of painting and modelling relaxing and absorbing. I can completely lose track of time when I'm working on a project.

Personal logo herkybird Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 9:44 a.m. PST

Its a pain to get started, but I do enjoy it when I am painting and everything looks ok.

jefritrout Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 1:33 p.m. PST

I used to find it a chore and unpleasant. Then I started working at a stressful job. Suddenly it became a major stress reliever. I turn on a game and listen to it as I paint. American football is great to watch while painting, thirty seconds of painting, then a 4 second play, and back to painting. (I hate hurry-up offenses.)

Personal logo Grey Heron Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 2:41 p.m. PST

Listening to music whilst painting is very enjoyable.

Jason O Mahony28 Jul 2017 3:09 p.m. PST

Very. Sometimes I can be sitting there and it is as if my hands are working of their own volition with me being only a passive observer.

Joe1870 Supporting Member of TMP28 Jul 2017 3:49 p.m. PST

Yes.

MSU John28 Jul 2017 4:02 p.m. PST

Absolutely.

Ney Ney28 Jul 2017 10:58 p.m. PST

Not now my eyes are struggling to see the figures. Used to be tho.

14Bore29 Jul 2017 4:44 a.m. PST

Yes

KSmyth29 Jul 2017 9:39 a.m. PST

Yes. I often paint with some great music on or listening to a Mariners game. It's how I unwind after a busy day.

coopman30 Jul 2017 8:06 a.m. PST

Yes, when the paint is covering well and I can see that I am not going to have to do a 2nd coat. I always listen to music when I paint. It's a great escape for me.

Personal logo Zeelow Supporting Member of TMP30 Jul 2017 1:14 p.m. PST

Depends if you don't knock over the paint container.

Syrinx030 Jul 2017 6:23 p.m. PST

When the project is going well, Its very relaxing.

Pages: 1 2