Help support TMP

"intolerance for other wargame rules" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

1,086 hits since 14 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ITALWARS Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 7:30 a.m. PST

after quite many years, i had the opportunity to play a game with previously unknown people met at a convention..well they were very kind guys..the set up a game with accutaly painted minis and landscape…but i was invited to participate at the game using their own amended rules (something like an amended Black power sisthem)…it was really an hard trial for me..as , for the quasi totality of periods i'm accostumated to play only with TSATF various versions , with Rapid Fire for modern conflicts and, in a few cases, with few pages Featherstone types simple rules (FYW, Ancient, Medieval).and only with a few couple of friends that do not need any translation and are quite fluent in reading English
At the end my show had been quite poor i did'nt succeeded in understanding the mechanism in fact i refused it…
did somebody else among you had a similar experience?…that is preferring sticking always with the same rule systhem?..or in fact it's only me that i'm a narcissist with a over developped ego? :-)

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 7:35 a.m. PST

Their game. their rules.

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 8:09 a.m. PST

I've played in games at shows that were ruined by dreadful rules and conssequently had an awful time (a WW2 game at the old Chippenham show tends to spring to mind, as does an ACW naval game at Fort Brockhurst which we calculated would have taken over 200 turns to conclude), but I'm generally happy to try alternate sets covering the periods that I game because I'm open t the idea that there may be a better set out there than the sets I already use

It was probably a useful learning experience for you in terms of selecting games at future events in which you would want to play (or not)

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 10:37 a.m. PST

I always approach gaming a unknown to me rule set at a convention as a "let's see what happens in these rules". Then play the period as you understand it. If you like the way it works, it may be a new rules set for you. If you don't like it, you had a new experience. It won't be the last bad choice you make, most likely.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 10:42 a.m. PST

I go to conventions hoping to play rule sets I haven't played before.

14th NJ Vol Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 11:18 a.m. PST

Homebrew or heavily modified published rules generally are not well received at cons. I've tried, couldn't get players to sign up.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 11:43 a.m. PST

I find the key words are "simple rules" "introduction to" "rules will be taught" or something along those lines. Or, of course, a set you're already familiar with. But long and either homebrew or heavily modified is an especially bad combination for a convention game: it takes you a game to get the hang of the rules, and then you'll never see them again.

The two extremes seem to work better: either say "the rules are TSATF/Black Powder/Bolt Action/Whatever and you should be familiar with them to sign on" or write rules not to exceed four pages--two is better--give everyone a copy and briefly explain them before play.
But "the rules are complicated, you don't have either a copy or time to read them, but we'll tell you when you do it wrong" just doesn't work for me. A pity. It's a popular approach at conventions.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 1:26 p.m. PST

My con games are almost always with home brew or heavily modified published rule sets (FoW for example). But the mechanisms are usually pretty simple and familiar (roll to hit, roll to save or die!).

I have found a efw tricks that *really* help a game like that.

• QRS: My typical QRS actually runs 4 pages. It uses large type (only footnotes are smaller than 12 point). Each section is color coded. Each section contains your unit's relevant stats. So the movement section has your units speed, while the "saving throw" section has your unit's Save stat (or whatever). Also, each section has a "summary" box. By turn 2 everyone is just reading from that.
  • Start one turn too far apart. This gives you one turn just to go through the turn sequence, force ID, terrain costs, command points or whatever, with no combat.
  • Have a small combat in the middle of the table run solely by the GM. On turn one have Red forces attack Blue. Do a little shooting and then a hand to hand. So everyone has seen combat once before they get in to it.
  • Explain "how to" do tactics. If a player wants to use one force to fire and one to maneuver, explain to the table how to do that *in these rules* and maybe point out a few pitfalls (plan your assault a turn in advance, don't maneuver with the HMG!).
  • GM an occasional "do over." If a player has made a terrible mistake through not quite getting the rules (such as being in range, in the open of the HMG platoon across the field) allow them a "do over" and they can fall back, or undo, or change formation. No one wants to win or lose because one player just goofed with a new rule set.

On average my in my games we get 8-12 turns in (in a 4 hour window), have a clear winner, and everyone has a good time (even people who end up not caring for my style of rules).

At a convention it's all about the GM and not so much the rules IMHO.

DisasterWargamer Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 1:35 p.m. PST

While I venture outside of my comfort level with rules for friends or occasionally to test a new rule set – Over time I know what I like and I tend to stick with it.

One set of rules for easy playing an evening
A couple of sets for more intense/complex games

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 1:38 p.m. PST

There is no reason someone has to like a set of rules. [You are allowed to 'refuse it'] Cons are great places to try new rules at no cost as Rustymusket says, but there is no guarantee that you'll like them.

Sometimes they are great rules, but just presented/managed poorly by the GM. [Or modified beyond recognition…]

Rich Bliss Supporting Member of TMP In the TMP Dawghouse15 Jul 2017 7:19 a.m. PST

I'll try anything once because I think you need to play a set to really understand it. I'll play something again if the first time wasn't too painful. That said there are a few systems I'll never play again:

Piquet
Bolt Action
WRG 7th.

UshCha Supporting Member of TMP18 Jul 2017 2:02 a.m. PST

Apart from the odd convention game we run where the rules are cut down to just a few die roles, I have only played our own rules since 2008.

I know what I like and currently as far as I am concerned none come close. To be fair the accent recently seems fast but undemanding rules where the number of models on the board is maximised at the expence of rationality on groundscale. Modellers like these sort of rules and they sell lots of models. I do read lots of reviews in the hope that sombody has done better thasn us, but no luck yet.

Playing worse rules has absolutely no appeal and I would not thank you for a game. Tanks battles where the turrets don't turn would ruin a game. I would far rather chat than play under those circumstances. So you may not be allone.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.