Help support TMP

"SYW French Artillery Colors" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Painting Guides Message Board

395 hits since 12 Jul 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Digger Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2017 3:17 p.m. PST

From what I've read they should be blue, rather than red. What shade of blue do you use – the same as that used by the Prussians, or something slightly different?

Personal logo herkybird Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2017 4:57 p.m. PST

Sorry, do you mean the gunners or the carriages?

Digger Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2017 6:36 p.m. PST

Carriages.

Personal logo herkybird Supporting Member of TMP13 Jul 2017 11:27 a.m. PST

I believe the gun carriages were changed from red with black metalwork to blue during the 7YW. I would use a colour similar to Prussian guns myself, but I have no idea what the real shade would be.
A good idea may be from this picture:

picture

…from this site link

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP13 Jul 2017 12:09 p.m. PST

So red in WaS and blue in Syw? Need 2 sets! Morbleu
Liked the red, different from others… Snif.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP14 Jul 2017 10:45 a.m. PST

So is that blue or grey? A quick look at photos of French guns are Yorktown NBP shows some in grey carriages.

The Yorktown surrender paintings by Louis-Nicholas Blarenberghe also show the French guns of 1781 in grey as well.

picture

Musketier Supporting Member of TMP18 Jul 2017 1:55 p.m. PST

A slightly greyish blue, weathering to a bluish grey…

Fridericus23 Jul 2017 7:28 a.m. PST

If you have another look at the Blarenberghe painting above you can see that the gun carriages are the same colour as the blue uniforms in the marching column. As they do certainly represent the Hessians who wore blue uniform coats, the carriages should be painted in the same colour: Blue!

Supercilius Maximus25 Jul 2017 11:46 a.m. PST

I always understood that red was the Valliere system and blue was the Gribeauval system (the latter being introduced only in 1765, so post-SYW). I also understood that French artillery regiments wore red or blue "small clothes" according to whose system they supported/used.

I believe that both systems were present at Yorktown, as St Simon's corps was still using Valliere guns.

I'm open to correction on all of this……

Fridericus25 Jul 2017 2:11 p.m. PST

Yesw, Supercilius Maximus, I share your view. My AWI French guns are all blue, and the gunners are all clad in blue, too. link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.