Help support TMP

"Russia Calls Britain's New 3.1bn Aircraft Carrier A ..." Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

1,120 hits since 28 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 11:31 a.m. PST

…'Huge Sitting Duck'

"Russia today claimed Britain's new aircraft carrier nicknamed Big Lizzie is a sitting target, denying Vladimir Putin's naval commanders are jealous of the huge vessel.

Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon had compared the £3.10 GBP billion HMS Queen Elizabeth with Moscow's only 'dilapidated' aircraft carrier, claiming: 'I think the Russians will look at this ship with a little bit of envy.'

There were reports that Putin's agents would be collecting intelligence on the flagship as it undergoes sea trials…"

picture

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 11:37 a.m. PST

At least the decks are not cluttered up with all those jets.

28mm Fanatik29 Jun 2017 12:03 p.m. PST

Or belching smoke with a tug in constant attendance. Even China has catapult-equipped carriers in the pipeline. Russia is falling farther and farther behind.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 12:58 p.m. PST

Russia's one to talk!

SBminisguy29 Jun 2017 1:09 p.m. PST

I wonder why it has two Islands?

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 1:35 p.m. PST

A spare, in case one gets taken out?

JMcCarroll Inactive Member29 Jun 2017 1:52 p.m. PST

" I wonder why it has two Islands? " cause two are better than one!

BattlerBritain29 Jun 2017 2:32 p.m. PST

It's got 2 islands because the Government of the day when deciding who should win the contract couldn't decide who to award it to so gave it to both of the contenders, in this case Thales and BAE.

BAE were to build the front half, Thales the back half.

Each wanted to build a tower so they both did.

Early artists impressions of the carrier even had BAE and Thales painted on the towers.

And no I'm not joking either.

zoneofcontrol Inactive Member29 Jun 2017 3:19 p.m. PST

I always wondered why they put the towers all the way over to one side. Looks weird. They should put them in the center so the ship looks more symmetrical.

foxweasel Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 3:24 p.m. PST

BattlerBritain, what rag did you read that nonsense in? For the cynics amongst you, it will be operating with the F35, as it's just been launched and is now undergoing sea trials and awaiting acceptance there won't be any A/C on it for a bit. But why let the truth get in the way of a few posts on here.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Jun 2017 4:22 p.m. PST

I always wondered why they put the towers all the way over to one side. Looks weird. They should put them in the center so the ship looks more symmetrical.

They are over on one side so that when a jet lands it does not tip the ship to the other side.

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 8:32 p.m. PST

No A/C? That's inhumane. No modern ship should be without A/C.

bsrlee29 Jun 2017 8:39 p.m. PST

The very first attempts at 'carrier' landing – WW1 period – ended in disaster every time because the central superstructure caused so much turbulence that nearly all the aircraft attempting to land flipped and crashed.

The solution initially was a flat deck with a tiny pop up bridge – that stopped the turbulence problem for the aircraft but the ship had trouble docking – except by feel (crunch!). So eventually someone tried the offset bridge, it worked and kept most people happy so it stuck around, mostly on the right hand side but the Japanese made a couple of mirror image carriers with left hand islands.

Interestingly, The QE does not seem to have the extreme angle flight deck common on US carriers, something the RN were exploring in the mid-1940's.

Gaz004529 Jun 2017 10:12 p.m. PST

A/C will be retro fitted when the RAF pilots turn up with their F35…….the RNAS pilot will have to struggle on without in the meantime……and if the destroyer engines are anything to go by, this beast won't go to warmerclimes either!

BattlerBritain29 Jun 2017 10:24 p.m. PST

Foxweasel: I worked for Thales for a number of years. Picture on an office wall with BAe and Thales painted on each tower

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian01 Jul 2017 4:50 a.m. PST

No A/C? That's inhumane. No modern ship should be without A/C.

Naaa…. when it gets real stuffy inside the ship they can just turn into the wind, open all the windows, and pretend they are launching a strike.

paulgenna Supporting Member of TMP01 Jul 2017 6:19 a.m. PST

Do they have planes to fly off of it?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP07 Jul 2017 11:09 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.