Help support TMP

"Looking for a "Fleet Scale" rule set recommendation" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

677 hits since 27 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Zookie28 Jun 2017 3:40 p.m. PST

I am thinking about branching out to sci-fi fleet gaming. I am looking for a rule set that is not set in a specific universe, plays fast and easy but is satisfying and still gives lots of tactical options and lastly allows you to build your own unit's stats?

Also any recommendations for miniature manufacturers.
My dream would be able to find miniatures and rules that let me recreate the "Wing Commander" universe. But I would settle for creating my own back ground if I could not find suitable miniatures.

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian28 Jun 2017 3:41 p.m. PST

Full Thrust

billclo28 Jun 2017 3:54 p.m. PST

Full Thrust would work; you can always ignore the "official factions".

You can find minis on Shapeways, here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dreamfoundry

Studio Bergstrom sells what look to me possibly suitable fighters:

https://studiobergstrom.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=81_90

John Leahy28 Jun 2017 4:32 p.m. PST

What do you mean by Fleet scale? Large scale battles to me mean 15-40 ships per side plus fighters. I'd use A Sky Full of ships. Up to about 20 ships I'd say Starmada. I use Starmada X. Just picked up the new version but haven't played it yet. Full Thrust is also set around this size game or less. Full Thrust has been around for quite a while. I have played them for around 30 years. Solid set of rules. The threshold checks are a negative for me. i have found Starmada a sleeker system. All the sets I have mentioned have a DIY system in them. All of them have fan created backgrounds designed. You'll find Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Wars and many others rated up.

Thanks.

Allen5728 Jun 2017 5:14 p.m. PST

5150 Star Navy link
G.O.B. s. thegobspage.com (free)
Babylon 5 wars Fleet Action (OOP but regularly on eBay)

I like Full Thrust but feel it does not play well with more than 4 or 5 ships per side.

There a many designers offering starships on Shapeways as well as many that are not in the 3d printed realm.

Personal logo Ed the Two Hour Wargames guy Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 7:37 p.m. PST

Here are some AARs for Star Navy. Can accommodate small to very large fights (40+ ships).

link

link

link

link

DesertScrb28 Jun 2017 8:06 p.m. PST

I second the recommendation for Star Navy.

But then, I am the co-author! grin

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP28 Jun 2017 8:30 p.m. PST

Full Thrust. I've played it for years, tried other newer sets for variety but always go back to Full Thrust

billclo29 Jun 2017 1:50 a.m. PST

"I like Full Thrust but feel it does not play well with more than 4 or 5 ships per side."

What makes you feel this way? I've run large games of FT at conventions with 5-7 ships/players, and 40+ ships on the board and didn't find that the game lagged much. Admittedly I streamlined the rules a little bit, particularly removing screen icons and changing the to hit numbers to account for screens.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2017 5:09 a.m. PST

I also recommend Full Thrust for large scale fleet actions.

Allen5729 Jun 2017 5:57 a.m. PST

billcio

Using the rules straight up the record keeping and tactical decisions needed for each ships various weapons becomes tedious with more ships. Sounds like you streamlined the rules and still, as you state, had some lag. FT are great rules but my patience for all the stuff you do for multiple ships is not very great. They are free for our newbie to try and make his own decision.

Zookie29 Jun 2017 6:25 a.m. PST

Thanks for the responses! I am looking around at miniatures. It looks like Shapeways and Brigade models seem popular. Are there any other manufactures that are recommended?

billclo29 Jun 2017 7:41 a.m. PST

Some folk like to use miniatures from Spartan Games (Firestorm Armada), Studio Bergstrom, Ravenstar, Ground Zero Games of course, Really depends on exactly what you want to do.

Also, if you try out Full Thrust and like it, there is an fan-produced rulebook that combines several rulesets called "Full Thrust: Project Continuum", which is oriented towards reproducing different genres, as well as more Full Thrust stuff.

Toaster29 Jun 2017 9:07 p.m. PST

The best place for all spaceship gaming is the starship combat news site and forum. star-ranger.com/forum

And personal preference for gaming would be Colonial Battlefleet with Full Thrust in a close second place.

Robert

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.