Help support TMP

"Ships of the American Revolution and Their Models" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

552 hits since 21 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2017 3:08 p.m. PST

"A representative sample of seven ships from the Revolutionary War--American and British, privateers and regular warships--are fully described in this book by one of the best-known ship modelers in the world, Harold Hahn. Those included are the 44-gun ship HMS Roebuck, the 16-gun sloop HMS Druid, the U.S. frigates Hancock and Confederacy, the U.S. privateer Oliver Cromwell, the 205-ton HMS Pelican, and the 74-gun HMS Alfred. The first half of this book deals with the history of each vessel. The remaining chapters are devoted to step-by-step detailed descriptions of building a model, using the Alfred, the largest and most complex of these ships, as the prime subject. Specially commissioned photographs illustrate every stage of development, and full sets of plans for each ship are provided. This handsome book will enthrall model builders and also appeal to historians and everyone interested in ships"
Main page
link

Anyone recomended this book?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Amicalement
Armand

dantheman Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2017 6:06 p.m. PST

The book is geared to ship modellers. The late Harold Hahn is well known among ship modeling circles. As a modeler myself the book is interesting.but best obtained with the ship plans associated with it. This seems to be a hard find these days. The plans are expensive.

That said, I don't think it is a good book for the wargamer. I would get other books by individuals like Lavary, or Endsor. Or many of the books from the Musee de la Marine in Paris if looking for French ship practices.

historygamer22 Jun 2017 6:31 p.m. PST

So is there a "best" book for covering ships of the American Revolution?

Personal logo Florida Tory Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2017 3:25 a.m. PST

I have that book. The photos are gorgeous. I have spent many hours admiring them and wishing I had those modeling skills.

Rick

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2017 9:23 a.m. PST

Thanks for your guidance my friends!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.