Help support TMP

"First air-to-air in decades." Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2006-present) Message Board

1,082 hits since 19 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tgunner Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 5:30 a.m. PST

Looks like a Super Hornet splashed a SU22 in Syria yesterday. The first US air-to-air kill of a manned aircraft in 15+ years.

link

Sounds like things in Syria are getting hot.

Personal logo Great War Ace Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 6:30 a.m. PST

Russia didn't like that.

PMC31719 Jun 2017 6:37 a.m. PST

Welp, four more and that pilot's an ace!

Also I hope there aren't any more. Because then the Russians might get involved.

SBminisguy19 Jun 2017 7:57 a.m. PST

…and still not sure what the US is doing there, or who the so-called "rebels" even are…

VVV reply19 Jun 2017 8:15 a.m. PST

Russia has announced it will treat all foreign aircraft in Syria as targets. I doubt if they will actually do it.

USAFpilot19 Jun 2017 8:32 a.m. PST

Deleted by Moderator they have been telling everyone over the last year that Russia is not our friend. Who would want good relations with a country that has thousands of nukes pointed at you anyway.

Personal logo 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 8:57 a.m. PST

If we're not careful one of these days the dispute between the Syrian Democratic Forces and Assad loyalists over ISIS's diminishing territory might just end up with US and Russian forces shooting at each other.

I hope not, but you're playing with fire when clear rules and understanding are not established.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 9:28 a.m. PST

Has Russia been acting like a "friend" in the last year, or beyond (Ukraine/Crimea)? Most people would draw a friendship line well before interfering in an election (collusion or not) came up.

vogless19 Jun 2017 9:32 a.m. PST

Some friends.

USAFpilot19 Jun 2017 9:40 a.m. PST

Has Russia been acting like a "friend" in the last year, or beyond (Ukraine/Crimea)? Most people would draw a friendship line well before interfering in an election (collusion or not) came up

Don't be so naive; the US has a long history of interfering in other countries elections and I'm not just talking ‘information operations'. Deleted by Moderator

vogless19 Jun 2017 10:33 a.m. PST

Yeah,

I'll just get all my info from Deleted by Moderator

jdpintex19 Jun 2017 11:37 a.m. PST

But where is the important information?

Did he use guns or missiles? What type of missle? What range?

Details, we need details to make up scenarios? Paint schemes, etc.

Stryderg19 Jun 2017 11:44 a.m. PST

DELETED

shirleylyn Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 1:02 p.m. PST

Very lucky the "red" was'nt a Mig29…

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 1:03 p.m. PST

jdpintex: Thanks for the note of sanity.

However, as a proper liberal, I have to wonder about the fate of the downed pilot.

Doug

Prince Alberts Revenge19 Jun 2017 1:59 p.m. PST

It didn't take very long for That post to devolve into political mudslinging as opposed to discussing wargaming/military aspects. The SU-22 is a limited range attack aircraft if I recall correctly. I'm curious about how was downed as well.

Stryderg19 Jun 2017 3:45 p.m. PST

It was probably downed via the use of harsh language.

Personal logo 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 4:30 p.m. PST

I'm curious about how (the SU-22) was downed as well.

Without actually knowing the facts I'm 99% certain it's an AMRAAM. I will be surprised if it was a Sidewinder and no less than shocked if it was by the internal 20mm rotary cannon.

whitejamest19 Jun 2017 4:46 p.m. PST

Deleted by Moderator they have been telling everyone over the last year that Russia is not our friend.

Deleted by Moderator the heads of the FBI, CIA and NSA. They poopoo Russia's super duper friendly foreign policy because, well, I guess they're just grumpy. Deleted by Moderator

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 5:45 p.m. PST

So how about them ballistic missiles Iran launched over Iraq? Wasn't that a neat trick!! Certainly should cooll things down.

Personal logo Ironwolf Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2017 11:58 p.m. PST

I didn't realize this, I thought there had been a few engagements in 2003 at the beginning of the 2nd Gulf war.

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2017 2:16 a.m. PST

Shooting an old bomber with a 2-3 generation air to air fighter is not much " air to air" just easy kill to safeguard sf on the ground and or to make a point in the politics of the place.

VVV reply20 Jun 2017 8:51 a.m. PST

What I didn't get is how you can claim 'self-defence' after it has dropped its bombs. So no one will repeat the bombing?
Let us not forget that the USA has been very protective of its base at al-Tanf even willing to destroy pro-Assad ground forces
link
The motto seems to be from the USA, we do what we want, don't get in the way.

Lion in the Stars20 Jun 2017 10:52 p.m. PST

Who would want good relations with a country that has thousands of nukes pointed at you anyway.

I would like relations good enough that they don't consider launching the [expletive deleted] things…

Tgunner Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2017 5:28 a.m. PST

The last recorded US military air-to-air kill was in 1999 according to news sources out there. That was a F-16 knocking down a Serbian MiG-29 in 1999 during the Kosovo campaign.

IIRC,the current US line was that forces with the Syrian regime (mixed columns of tanks, apcs, and troops) were advancing on SDF forces (an anti ISIS group), so the Bush launched some F18s. The planes did a show of force (flying low and loud) which made the columns retreat. The Syrians then dispatched the SU22. The US jets "buzzed" it to ward it off but it pushed on and bombed positions held by SDF troops. I don't recall any casualties being mentioned. The US flight there went weapons hot and shot down the SU22. The pilot did eject but no word on if he returned to Syrian lines. Also, no mention on what weapon the Hornet used. My guess is a missile too, but I get the impression it was close in, so maybe a Sidewinder? More details are coming out so perhaps they will disclose what weapon was used to down the SU.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.