Help support TMP

"How do you like to base your 6mm sci-fi miniatures?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Basing Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with SF Gaming Message Board

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the 6mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Action Log

12 Jun 2017 12:42 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Dirtside board
  • Crossposted to Basing board

480 hits since 12 Jun 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Zookie12 Jun 2017 10:42 a.m. PST

What shape of base do you like? What size? Do you like a thin base or a thicker diorama style?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian12 Jun 2017 11:00 a.m. PST

Infantry or vehicles?

Zookie12 Jun 2017 11:10 a.m. PST

Both infantry and/or vehicles.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2017 11:12 a.m. PST

For something like Dirtside, I'd have a fire team on a penny. Vehicles wouldn't be based unless they needed it for some reason (e.g. motorcycles).

mwindsorfw Supporting Member of TMP12 Jun 2017 11:49 a.m. PST

1-3 infantrymen on a penny. Vehicles on a washer with a bit of tape over the hole. (This is the first time I based all my vehicles; my WWII vehicles are not usually based.)

Covert Walrus12 Jun 2017 2:19 p.m. PST

Usually I use ready-made bases for fireteams of infantry. I don't use many rules that require bases for vehicles, so i don't.

Legion 412 Jun 2017 3:20 p.m. PST

3-8 for Infantry

1 Artillery Piece w/crew

1 Combat Walker

1 Bike

No bases for vehicles

Oberlindes Sol LIC12 Jun 2017 6:59 p.m. PST

The last time I based 6mm figures, I just used stiff card. The bases were, as I recall, 1 inch square. I painted the bases and put some flock on them, but they are quite thin.

The bases had 4-man fireteams and some individually mounted leakers for Striker. I don't generally put ground vehicles on bases, unless a vehicle like a motorcycle needs a base.

wolfgangbrooks12 Jun 2017 7:47 p.m. PST

I'm basing for Epic 40k or something similar. I'm not chasing bases of figures around the table with my fingernails anymore, so 3mm mdf for me.

25mm edge-to-edge hexes I got from GF9 for infantry; 5 infantry to a base for standard troops. (3 for a detachment leader for Space Marine Legions)

For vehicles I haven't decided yet. Hover vehicles and animals (Microworld Dino-riders) definitely will. I got 40mm, 50mm, and 60mm hexes of the same material for larger things done by Bases by George.

For these guys: link can't decide between large bases or two of the 25mm hexes put together. It would look interesting with the infantry deployed on either side that way.

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP13 Jun 2017 12:35 p.m. PST

Flames of War Medium size bases with 8-10 Infantry Miniatures per base or two vehicles etc…

Each base represents a company size element.

Command Sections go on Flames of War small size base.

infojunky14 Jun 2017 2:23 a.m. PST

Singly on little magnets….

Levi the Ox14 Jun 2017 7:08 p.m. PST

Mithmee, I do that too, but with each stand a squad at 1:1 ratio. Vehicles usually go individually on the small bases, unless they're very lightly armed & armored.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.