Help support TMP

"WoC "Starship Battles" Cards, support" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

765 hits since 28 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Queen Catherine29 Apr 2017 8:40 p.m. PST

I'm tinkering with my old bunch of SSB ships and trying to see what simple changes and such I can make to have a fun, playable version of the game, mainly for my 7yo son and other new / non gamers. I did find a couple of interesting downloads at BoardGame Geek, and am checking them out.

One of them had some good, simple ideas for scenarios and missions, and I'd like some more of them – they could be very movie-specific [no, not the death star run, puh-leeez!] or from the various books.

I got a sweet auction off ebay for the ships, but alas no cards. Altho I have most of the cards already, there are a few I don't.

Anyone know a good resource for the cards? Even just the data would be nice, but an actual image would be perfect. I will say that if someone is in the same boat, I'd be willing to reciprocate.

I can't imagine that _someone_ hasn't lost a card and downloaded it from somewhere, after all they aren't like Magic cards where you must have the actual card to play.

Yeah, I know the game design is pretty poor [I hope someone's head rolled for that!] but it has a few redeeming features that provide 50% of a workable game. If I can make it a bit more fun than Axis and Allies WWII naval battles, then I'll be happy!

comstarhpg30 Apr 2017 12:53 a.m. PST

I have a few of the cards which ones do you need?

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2017 1:10 a.m. PST

Rebel Scum looks pretty good, though I've not done an exhaustive search. rebelscum.com/SWminiSB.asp

Please do tell us how this works out, especially your 3D mods!

Doug

Queen Catherine30 Apr 2017 8:39 a.m. PST

@ Comstar, thanks for the offer!
the auction is in the mail and should arrive very soon. I'm uncertain what the names/numbers are of some of the minis, but I'll check in with you. You can post a message at my blog also, if you want to handle it thru there:
redinthemorning.blogspot.com

@TheBeast
I'll be posting game play tests at my blog. I already did one play with my son, and played a few times on my own, so just need to write it up.
and the link looks good – I can at least get the data, maybe the image off the site, I'll try. Thanks!

Queen Catherine30 Apr 2017 10:15 a.m. PST

OK Beast – it seems to work, I've found the cards I need and they seem OK copying. Thanks!

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2017 10:18 a.m. PST

Well, I stayed on topic at least once. ;->=

Doug

Queen Catherine30 Apr 2017 3:42 p.m. PST

clap \*/, clap \*/, clap \*/, clap \*/, clap \*/, clap \*/,
:)

and it even counted!

comstarhpg01 May 2017 12:05 a.m. PST

Hope all goes well :)
I'll keep an eye out on your blog and I can scan or send cards if required :)
Oh and Doug congrats :)
Cheers Matt

Queen Catherine04 May 2017 1:54 p.m. PST

I believe I successfully downloaded them into WORD, but they are:
- Utapaun P38
- Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor
- Anakin Skywalker's Jedi Interceptor
- Slave 1 [Jango Fett]
- Trade Federation Battleship
- TIE Fighter ACE

- Obi-Wan on Bango

The auction was a great deal – 85 ships for and the mounted Obi-Wan for $90 USD, but the very minimal 1-sentence description didn't say there were no cards. It also didn't say there were cards. Still, to me it's a bit like selling a phone with no charger – it's expected to go with the phone, or TV or computer, etc. And "I didn't say there were any cards and weren't we told as children not to ASSUME?" didn't seem like a great response from the seller.

Might have to leave Neutral feedback.

Queen Catherine04 May 2017 6:55 p.m. PST

oops, that's
- Obi-Wan on Boga [5/60 Republic 41 on bottom]

Marc the plastics fan Inactive Member16 May 2017 6:14 a.m. PST

Bit small minded of the seller

Long time no play with these – I moved onto x-wing, so I shall follow your rules musings with interest

Marc

Queen Catherine17 May 2017 6:44 p.m. PST

At the moment, I'm going to try a couple simple changes, including a Range of about 8, and penalize every additional ship shooting at a target by -4.

Honestly, having played it a few times now, it isn't as bad as I thought. The only reason I can see for big ships to move, however, is to get closer to Fighter Launch, or get side shots on a hard target like the IMP SD. This can be pretty important, since weaker ships may as well use position since their front armor isn't that great, so getting reciprocal side shots with 2-3 class 3 rebels against the SD is a good deal.

Part time gamer17 May 2017 10:54 p.m. PST

Queen Catherine
The only reason I can see for big ships to move, however, is to get closer to Fighter Launch, or get side shots on a hard target..
You hit the 'nail on the head *QC. Its like 'tank' warfare.
Your main, best armor is Fwd, the sides 2nd and the rear your weakest. So Why would you want to even move?

Granted as you pointed out, as in 'real' history, a ships side provides more space for more weapons, but then you expose a weaker defense to the enemy.

A cpl of changes I made to my "Clone Wars' collection for example:
Start w/ a ship that has "shield rates as.." Fwd, Side & Aft were say.. 13, 10, 7 respectively.
Once the ship had taken its max. "External Armor", for Ex. 7 pts, then damage was done to the 'Internal SS' Ex 8 pts.

Once both of these had been reached, it became "Heavily Damaged".
Shield rates were reduced by 3 pts. In the above ex. that ships 'emergency'/2ndry shields would have become 10, 7, 4.

Also it would have an "Internal Armor" which now would be 4 pts.and Internal SS of 5pts.

Plus the amount of Damage the weapons could 'deliver' was reduced, some wpn sys. were 'shut down' all together.
The ships "targeting bonus", "Ftr launch", "Ftr def." & speed were all reduced. All to reflect the 'accumulated' damage of a pitched battle.
This kept the game playing longer, as the Dmg pts were not that high to start with.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.