Help support TMP

"Follow The Eagle and Napoleon's Wars" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Computer Moderated Rules Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

GallopingJack Checks Out The Terrain Mat

Mal Wright Fezian goes to sea with the Terrain Mat.

1,492 hits since 27 Apr 2017
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Whirlwind27 Apr 2017 8:06 p.m. PST

These two computer-moderated rulesets were advertised in Miniature Wargames in the late 1980s, the first apparently with the same sort of scope as Eaglebearer, the second designed as a game where brigades are the smallest formation represented; both published by WARCOM Wargame Services. Does anyone know anything about these two rulesets?

vagamer63 Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2017 11:14 p.m. PST

I believe Dave folded the tent on Follow the Eagle software a few years ago. The old web site doesn't even come up anymore in searches.

Whirlwind27 Apr 2017 11:47 p.m. PST

What was the game like?

davbenbak28 Apr 2017 6:40 a.m. PST

Try Carnage & Glory II. It has a very active Yahoo group.

Whirlwind28 Apr 2017 7:09 a.m. PST

@davbenbak,

Yes, I'm aware of C&G2, it looks an excellent system. I was asking more out of historical curiosity.

Oakley30 Nov 2019 12:35 p.m. PST

Back in the day when a PC had about 1MB of memory and a hard drive, if you had one, was not more than 40MB and windows were things you looked out of. I was inspired to get my first computer following a demonstration game put on by Danny Boreham at a wargames show (WARCON) in Edgebaston. For me the attraction of the game was the lack of rules as I knew them and despite not having a computer I bought a copy of Eagle Bearer published by WARCOM.
It was some time later I discovered that the program had actually been written by Dave Watkins and the code had been illegally copied. Watkins under the banner of Eagle-Software marketed the rules as Follow The Eagle with a number of versions as he developed the rules and interface over several years.
For about five years the group of wargaming friends I was with used Eagle software exclusively for several years to play some amazing re-fights of most of the classic Napoleonic battles with a huge collective pool of 15mm figures. The attraction was the computer whilst adding its own fog of war looked after record keeping, the shooting, hand-to-hand combat, morale and fatigue which allowed the player to concentrate on the action on the table as opposed to the finer points of the rule book. I do remember the dramatic moments when a charge took place and the computer told you that the 2nd Foot and Mouth "Hold their fire", or "They fire early". This gave you a clue as to how successfully the charge into the 2nd Foot and Mouth was going to be.
The problems that I remember was keeping track of where the units were on the table. Every unit needed to be labelled. Secondly, each game required a considerable amount of set-up time with both the building of the armies in the computer and assembling the figures pre-game.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.