Help support TMP

"15mm Civilians, Chinese Christians (More Boxer Rebellion)" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Sword and The Flame Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

405 hits since 26 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Smokey Roan26 Apr 2017 7:29 p.m. PST

Seems to me the Blue Moon Horror range of Victorian Civilians is perfect for non combatants for the Boer rebellion.

Also their Priests and Nuns (Horror Line)and Missionaries in their Darkest Africa set.

As for civilian combatants, I think I can cull figures from their Mummy and Darkest Africa lines, and Rebel Minis has some Egyptian and African Adventurers that certainly look the part.
Also one pose of a offhand, standing civilian firing from the German Sea battalion, Bersigeleri pack from OG15.

(and Lancaster has some, I hear).

What about Chinese Civilians?

Maybe some Chinese Artillery Crew figures can be used? Lop off a ramrod top and put a sack of rice on the end of the stick, Sculpey a sandbag or rice sack for the cannonball holder pose (always a cannonball holder in every arty crew set, it seems). maybe some Boxers can lose a sword or spear and get a sack?

I sure cant find ANY generic Chinese civilians in 15mm, anywhere. Pretty much need them for a Boxer game, I think. (I like lots of civies and window dressing in my games)

Any ideas?

dragon626 Apr 2017 8:47 p.m. PST

I wish someone made 15mm Chinese civilians but, like you, nothing

Smokey Roan26 Apr 2017 8:55 p.m. PST

Sucks, man! I need lots of Chinese civies if I'm doing a Peking.

But Blue Moon's Victorian Townfolk and Darkest Africa Missionaries and explorers gives you all the civilian noncombatants and combatants you need. So we got THAT going for us. Which is nioe.

Personal logo badwargamer Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2017 1:22 a.m. PST

Peter Pig do some Vietnamese civilians which can be used…worth seeing if others do similar.

bruntonboy27 Apr 2017 1:22 a.m. PST

Lancashire games do everything you mention already.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2017 6:35 a.m. PST

Besides Lancashire, Museum Miniatures has Japanese peasants and Ashigaru porters, who are peasant-ish. I don't think there's anything really saying they're Japanese though. They're a bit bigger than Lancashire though, may fit better with Blue Moon.

link

MM also has a Chinese pack in their Dead & Dying line too:
link

DinOfBattle227 Apr 2017 7:27 a.m. PST

Irregular makes a bunch of different civilians including Chinese. They don't have a photo in the catalog, but I'm sure Ian Kay (owner) would be happy to share a photo. I think the Chinese civilians are only males.

Colonial list, near the bottom:
link

FZ122

Chinese Civilian

I also use their European civilians and PP Vietnam civilians.

Eric

DinOfBattle227 Apr 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

Here are some of my civilians in the Chinese market

picture

Eric

Skeptic27 Apr 2017 8:15 a.m. PST

IIRC, the Boxer Rebellion took place in northern China, mostly around Peking (Beijing) and Tianjin. Northern Chinese clothing (including headgear) would likely have differed from that of southern China, so Vietnamese-style clothing may not be the best choice. For example, turbans or headwraps may have been more common than conical hats.

dragon627 Apr 2017 12:32 p.m. PST

Vietnamese and Japanese don't really do it as the clothing is wrong. I'm not really sure Japanese peasants wore shorts anyway :/

And all the armed peasants … also not a choice. Maybe Irregular.

How about nudes? It's not like chinese peasant clothing is difficult. Or maybe Kung Fu/martial arts figures?

Smokey Roan27 Apr 2017 1:10 p.m. PST

GOOD stuff, dragon!

Nudes? Hee hee! Nekked Chinese women! I like!

DinOfBattle2, WHAT figures did you use? :)

BTW, Din, my latest Mountain Bike Kit came wrapped entirely in very thin diameter corregated cardstock! YAY!!!!!! (I see you used same for your roofs)

Whoever made your terrain, it looks identicle to my style! Love it.

Smokey Roan27 Apr 2017 1:11 p.m. PST

Anyone have the OG15 Chinese artillery pack?

Pics? Any figs that can be converted to civies?

Looking at some Boxers, lop off a sword, and a lot could work, no?

bobspruster27 Apr 2017 1:48 p.m. PST

Smokey, I did my Boxer Rebellion in 1/72nd and used Boers for armed civilians. They are just about perfect for that role.

Smokey Roan27 Apr 2017 2:30 p.m. PST

I have the 1/72 Boers set. :)

Yes, I looked into Boers. many work. Just VERY well armed, with bandoleirs all over, LOL!

In 15mm, the Blue Moon Darkest Africa Missionaries and Explorers
gives you so much. Missionaries. Unarmed civies, and armed civies in unique dress. That and their London Townsfolk cover all European Civilian needs, IMO.

We NEED Chinese civilians!

OK, just looking at some secret 15mm Boxers (unreleased as of now), about a dozen of them are suitable for lopping off weapons and making them noncombatants.

Seems a pointy hat added to a lot of other lines of civilians could pass? I'm thinking Freikorps Civil War "Black People" pack, and some of the Rebel and Blue Moon Egyptian lines, and even some Mexicans.

BTW, what did Chinese Christians wear? European clothing, or standard Chinese pheasant wear?

Personal logo badwargamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 2:17 a.m. PST

I wouldn't discount all the Vietnamese civilians. Many of DinofBattle2's figures shown above are the peter pig Vietnam figures I mentioned… peterpig.co.uk/vietnam.html

Also available are flashpoint miniatures ones
link I've not bought these but do like the look of the farming ones….would have saved e scratch building a plow!

I did buy my civilians for a ww2 Malaya campaign, but may of the figures are useable for China.

Not civilians, but another range worth considering for your project is the following from Grumpy miniatures. I've used a lot of these on my Chinese Junks.
link

I really must get some photos taken!!

Smokey Roan28 Apr 2017 6:50 a.m. PST

Hey, the Peter Pig Vietnamese pheasant packs look perfectly suitable!

Skeptic28 Apr 2017 7:19 a.m. PST

If anything, I'd use disarmed Boxers in drab colours as northern Chinese civilians. Wheat was (and is) the northern staple, while rice, bamboo, and conical hats are more southern.

Smokey Roan28 Apr 2017 8:10 a.m. PST

Thanks, Skeptic

Irregular 15s. They have a bunch of usedul Chinese and European civilians, and their "Arab" civilians are very suitable for a hat conversion.

Just wish they had better ordering

Personal logo badwargamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 8:17 a.m. PST

Only a wargamer would worry about this level of details Skeptic! Proper rivet counting kind of stuff. We are a strange breed wanting such detail and I do commend you for such attention to detail and for sharing with us.
For me, I'm happy to compromise and have some conical hats in amongst a few civilians, even if that makes them stereotypical! Personally I'm happy to have a few generic 'oriental' civilians as I play all periods, so they are needed for other ones.

I have done head swaps for some troops, but not sure I can face doing them for civilians…have to draw a line somewhere!!!!

These threads are inspiring me to crack on with my troops …and buildings and more walls and finish some more junks…etc etc !!

Personal logo badwargamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 8:36 a.m. PST

Not boxer rebellion, but a few civilians…if you zoom in

A game from Chinese Civil War with 'one-armed' Sutton!
link

picture

picture

picture

Smokey Roan28 Apr 2017 11:26 a.m. PST

Very good! Badwargamer, but a goodterrainmaker. :)

Personal logo badwargamer Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 11:45 a.m. PST

To be fair it's a team effort. Boats and civilians and the wall is my work. Other stuff is other weirdos!

oldjarhead128 Apr 2017 2:34 p.m. PST

I bought PP character and porter packs, Martin is very good about customizing packs (no political officer or bicycle). It also gave me some monks. I have ordered some Chinese civilians from Irregular, and will be ordering from Flashpoint. I don't look to closely at how correct the clothing is.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 5:40 p.m. PST

What is the difference between a Chinese civilian and a boxer with no weapon?

Henry Martini28 Apr 2017 6:48 p.m. PST

I give up. Just hit me with the punch-line.

Mad Guru Supporting Member of TMP29 Apr 2017 3:42 p.m. PST

The civilian's fists are unrighteous and non-harmonious.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP30 Apr 2017 12:06 a.m. PST

Here are the heads in "coolie hats" from Peter Pig:

picture

picture

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.