Help support TMP

"The Averoff will be in dry dock for 2 months" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

512 hits since 26 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 7:39 a.m. PST

Keep in mind that you will be able to visit the Averoff for two months, as it will be at Salamina for maintenance.

Here is drone video footage of the moving of the ship.

YouTube link

With Respect
Konstantinos Travlos

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 8:05 a.m. PST

Nice video, Konstantinos. She sure looks very neat and deadly. I'm glad the Greek Navy appears to be keeping her fit.

Jim

vtsaogames26 Apr 2017 8:48 a.m. PST

Very nice. She looks like a dreadnought, very much.

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 8:51 a.m. PST

She's a beautiful old ship and looks to be very well maintained.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 9:47 a.m. PST

I got to see her in Greece several years ago and was amazed at how well she looked.

stecal Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 9:52 a.m. PST

Visited the Averof 2 years ago. Still manned by Greek Naval personnel, perhaps reservists.

Yellow Admiral26 Apr 2017 10:47 a.m. PST

Maybe she'll get some drybrushing while she's in drydock. Her paint job looks far too neat and uniform and bland. :-)

- Ix

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 11:59 a.m. PST

Yup, it still is conscripts. One of the cushy posts for military service. And I was wrong on the op. It is unable, not able.

Personal logo Wyatt the Odd Supporting Member of TMP Fezian26 Apr 2017 1:17 p.m. PST

The ship in the background, hull number 16, looks to be a Fletcher-class. Is it active or a museum as well?

Wyatt

NCC1717 Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 1:35 p.m. PST

D16 is the ex USS Charrette (DD-581):
link

Personal logo Wyatt the Odd Supporting Member of TMP Fezian26 Apr 2017 1:39 p.m. PST

Thanks 1717!

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2017 2:04 p.m. PST

Many thanks! I always thought her one of the most attractive of armoured cruisers.

StarCruiser26 Apr 2017 6:21 p.m. PST

One of the last Armored cruisers built and definitely one of the prettiest…

Grelber26 Apr 2017 8:55 p.m. PST

Grand news, KTravlos! Several years ago, I had understood there were serious doubts about Greece being able to afford maintenance for her.

Saw her from a distance but was not able to visit when I was in Athens.

Grelber

Alan Lauder Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2017 1:35 a.m. PST

Thanks Konstantinos, I kept hoping we'd see the engines fire up!

YA:
"Maybe she'll get some drybrushing while she's in drydock. Her paint job looks far too neat and uniform and bland. :-)"

Yep, know what you mean. But, in my limited experience mucking around on ships (), if we weren't scrubbing something, we'd be painting it! And the bleach – oh, the bleach! One skipper, if the air below decks didn't peel your eyeballs with the stench of bleach, the job wasn't done right ;)

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP28 Apr 2017 9:50 a.m. PST

The reports are that the Goulandri family of ship-owners are paying a big part of the maintenance. Some reports indicate that this might go as far as making it sea-worthy. Maybe my dream of seeing the Averoff pay visits to the Texas, Aurora, Mikasa, and Olympia will come true!

The D16 is indeed the USS Charrette. In the Greek navy it was the Velos. It is a museum ship but not as well done as Averoff. It mainly focuses on the naval mutiny against the Greek military Junta of 1967-1973.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.