Help support TMP

"Chasseurs des montagnes" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Empire Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

902 hits since 23 Apr 2017
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 3 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Nine pound round23 Apr 2017 5:26 p.m. PST

Does anyone have an opinion on these fellows:

link

If you had to rate them using Empire classes, what would they be?

I have some spare revolutionary era grunts that I am going to paint up, largely because they're going to be easy to quickly paint and mount: 90% of this can be handled with a brown spray. Should fit in for a Peninsular battle. I was inclined to consider them just regular line or conscript, but perhaps they deserve better?

21eRegt23 Apr 2017 6:10 p.m. PST

That's a tough one. Although they were probably good at what they did, they shouldn't be able to stand in a line and shoot it out with regulars. So I'd probably call them Conscript/Conscript (or veteran) with a very good skirmish rating.

Edwulf23 Apr 2017 6:23 p.m. PST

They were a bit sub standard compared to the regular line units. Big trouble with desertion.

Nine pound round23 Apr 2017 6:41 p.m. PST

I'm leaning toward Regular, with a Good unformed rating (using Revolution &Empire ratings). Regular was "bottom of the barrel" rating for legere in Spain 08-12. That "Good" is better than typical, but it would reflect experience scouring hillsides.

21eRegt24 Apr 2017 7:55 a.m. PST

I know about the desertion problem, but figured the tabletop representation would be the best since they hung around. But it is hard to develop some cohesiveness or skill with a big turnover, so the Conscript rating.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP24 Apr 2017 10:23 a.m. PST

Fred VIetmeyer classified them as militia light infantry for column line and square. I have two battalions of them organize that way.

attilathepun47 Inactive Member24 Apr 2017 10:29 a.m. PST

As I understand it, the Chasseurs de Montagne were never intended to face regular soldiers in battle. To put it in modern terms, they were more of a paramilitary force for combating guerillas, bandits, and smugglers. If you insist on putting them in the line of battle, then I would second Bobgnar's classification.

Nine pound round24 Apr 2017 6:02 p.m. PST

Yup,mall true- Gendarmarie weren't,neither, but sometimes they did. Thanks for all the suggestions, they will be very helpful.

Khusrau Inactive Member25 Apr 2017 7:27 a.m. PST

Funnily enough, I acquired some revolutionary French figures in bicorne, and decided to do exactly the same thing. Not yet painted but I was going to use them as basically poor quality regulars.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.