Help support TMP

"WWII - Two enlistment dates?" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

517 hits since 8 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian08 Apr 2017 8:09 p.m. PST

I was looking at someone's online military record, and it shows an enlistment date of 31 October 1942, and then a '2nd enlistment date' of 15 November 1942.

Why would someone have two enlistment dates like that?

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2017 8:54 p.m. PST

Can you post a copy or a link?

vagamer63 Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2017 8:56 p.m. PST

There could be a number of reasons, and a bit more information, if available, would explain the reasoning.

Could be the person originally enlisted in a State National Guard Unit, then switched to the Regular Army. They may have been found Medically ineligible for the Original Enlistment, and was given the option to transfer to another branch of service. Lastly, given the Draft was in full swing by that time, the person may have reported to the local Draft Board, was Sworn In, but wasn't assigned to a Branch of Service until the Second Date at which time he was formally Enlisted again!

In any case the Official Date of Service would be 31OCT42!

When I went in the service way back when I was originally sworn into the Reserves at the Recruiting Office, then 6 months later when I reported for Recruit Training, after passing my physical, I was sworn in again on Active Duty before getting on the bus. Thus I had two enlistment dates about six months apart.

Wargamer Blue08 Apr 2017 8:58 p.m. PST

Are the places names different. Might have enlisted in a small country town and then traveled to the main enlistment center elsewhere to be sworn in officially.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian08 Apr 2017 9:38 p.m. PST

The Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File record is brief:

Branch 1: ARMY
Enlistment Date 1: 31 Oct 1942
Release Date 1: 25 Oct 1945
Enlistment Date 2: 15 Nov 1942

On the other hand, the World War II Army Enlistment Records (1938-1946) entry gives one enlistment date:

Enlistment Date: 31 Oct 1942
Enlistment State: Washington
Enlistment City: Spokane
Branch: Branch Immaterial Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 1 year of high school
Civil Occupation: Farm hands, general farms
Marital Status: Married
Height: 67
Weight: 168

Same birthdate, first record lists his first name as just "C", while second record lists "Carl H". Everywhere else he's "Karl", except military records and the death certificates index.

Raynman Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2017 9:41 p.m. PST

May have been some kind of deferred enlistment date. Signed up on the first date and actually showed up for training/duty on the second.

RudyNelson09 Apr 2017 6:29 p.m. PST

Enlistment was an early date. Then after physicals and passing several tests, a later approval date could be entered. Just a observation.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.