Help support TMP

"A Comprehensive Wargames System" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the Campaign Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

1,091 hits since 3 Apr 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

thistlebarrow203 Apr 2017 7:24 a.m. PST

In 2006 I designed a comprehensive wargames system to provide me with interesting battles to wargame. So far it has provided 252 and is still going strong.

It is a very simple system which can be used for any period from ancient to Star Wars, any scale from 2mm to 54mm and any size of wargames table. It can handle any wargame from skirmish to world war.

This system would be suitable for any wargamer from complete novice to jaded veterans. The whole concept is that it is tailor made to what you want to do and how you want to do it.

I use it to run a Napoleonic campaign, but it could be adopted for any period

For most of the 40 plus years that I have been wargaming I have been searching for the perfect system, the Holy Grail of wargaming. I am not saying that this is it for everyone, or perhaps even for any of you, but it has been for me.

If you already have a collection of figures, a table and a set of wargame rules there is no expense in setting up this system. If you have none, then this is a good way to plan what you want to achieve in time.

The introduction is on my blog now. You can find it here

link

Over the next few weeks I will cover planning and preparation, the campaign system and wargame rules.

If anyone would like to convert the system to their own use I would be happy to give any assistance that I can.

However even if the whole system does not appeal I hope that some of you may find it thought provoking and that you may be able to use parts of it.

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 7:50 a.m. PST

I'm a 100% solo gamer and this sort of system sounds very appealing as the background engine for me to use.

Since we can't PM you here, and I didn't see an email at your blog, how do we contact you? I'm thinking that the level and scope of questions and answers would be more easily handled via email, where attachments could also be exchanged.

JJ

Reactionary03 Apr 2017 8:22 a.m. PST

Fascinating, I look forward to your posts.

thistlebarrow203 Apr 2017 9:03 a.m. PST

Hi Terrement

I don't really want to put my email address on a public forum. I run a Yahoo group for the Napoleonic campaign. If you apply to join that group I will receive your email address and I can reply direct. That group is designed to answer any questions about the campaign, so you could raise them there. If you prefer I am happy to reply via email.

You will find the Yahoo group here

link

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 10:40 a.m. PST

Fully understand – I'll check out the Yahoo group

marshalGreg Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2017 11:26 a.m. PST

I have sent a request for membership to the yahoo group.

MG

thistlebarrow208 Apr 2017 1:21 a.m. PST

The first post considers planning and preparation, and in particular setting an objective of what you want to achieve at the end of the process. I suggest how you might make a start, and use my own planning and objective as an example.

There will be about 10-12 posts and each one will deal with one step in the process. In each one I will try to explain the basic principle, and then use my own experience as an example. I have tried to keep each post short and to the point. The idea is to allow anyone interested in adopting my system plenty of time to absorb each step.

I would be happy to answer any questions about each step either on this forum or on my Yahoo forum.

I have approved all applications to join my Napoleonic 1813 Campaign forum. If you have applied and not received a reply please try again.

Personal logo Weasel Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2017 11:22 a.m. PST

Just to clarify, will everything end up on the blog or is it yahoo forum only?

Intrigued.

thistlebarrow208 Apr 2017 11:24 a.m. PST

Everything will be on the blog. There will be one post each week dealing with a different aspect of the system.

The forum was formed to support the 1813 campaign when it was PBEM. It is now solo, but I post regular updates on the forum, and also any changes to the rules etc.

Personal logo Weasel Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2017 3:34 p.m. PST

Appreciate it and excited to see what it all looks like

thistlebarrow215 Apr 2017 5:14 a.m. PST

This week make an inventory of what model soldiers and scenery you have available, and what you need to obtain, in order to achieve your objective. I use my own inventory as an illustration of how to tackle this.

Ragbones Supporting Member of TMP18 Apr 2017 5:43 p.m. PST

Very interesting! I look forward to learning more about your campaign system.

thistlebarrow222 Apr 2017 9:29 a.m. PST

Having decided on your objective and then calculated how many figures and facilities you have, or are prepared to obtain, the next step is to decide how you are going to organise them.

A lot will depend on your objective and the figures available. If you want to play skirmish wargames, even if they are in different areas and even periods, then you will probably be able to provide all the figures you will need. You may need more scenery or terrain, but that is not a great problem.

However if your objective is to fight a major campaign, or worse still a series of campaigns, you will need a lot of figures. If you are unwilling, or unable, to obtain them all then you are going to have to compromise. However you will have to live with your compromise, so it is worth putting a little effort into how best to achieve your objective with what is available.

I wanted to fight the whole of the 1813 campaign in Germany and Spain, but I only had just over 1500 figures. Worse still they were painted and based as 36 figure infantry battalions.

This week I explain how I organised them as 20 allied and 16 French corps without repainting or rebasing a single figure.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.