Help support TMP

"British Infantry (Zulu War) 1877 1881 by Perry Miniatures" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian Colonial Board Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

684 hits since 16 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2017 12:40 p.m. PST

Cool!

link

link

picture

picture

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

bracken Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2017 1:10 p.m. PST

Once again I can feel the urge to spend more money!

Personal logo piper909 Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2017 1:39 p.m. PST

Oh…. multi-part plastic, I see now. Sigh.

Field Marshal16 Mar 2017 2:58 p.m. PST

Could there be perry Zulu on the horizon?

Mike Target17 Mar 2017 8:41 a.m. PST

I am slightly baffled by this release- when this is available we'll have access to 4 sets of plastic british infantry suitable for colonial gaming (WGF, WLG, 2xperry).

Now as you don't need many plastic British for any of those theatres (I got 4 of the warlord sets and that was really 2 too many, I won't be buying any perry ones as there aren't enough Zulus to go round!) it'd be nice instead to see more of the plastics for their opponents for whom massive plastic hordes are a must.

We have a sufficiency of Zulus I feel, but a plastic box for pathans/afghans, or egyptians, or Khosa, or Boers, or any of the thousands of others would be preferably to yet another box of British…

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP17 Mar 2017 10:38 a.m. PST

Glad you like them boys!.

Zulus are comming…

Amicalement
Armand

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP19 Mar 2017 6:52 a.m. PST

Mike,

I think the Home Service option is something new when it comes to plastics.

Griefbringer20 Mar 2017 6:45 a.m. PST

but a plastic box for pathans/afghans, or egyptians, or Khosa, or Boers, or any of the thousands of others would be preferably to yet another box of British

But which ones of these would have the critical amount of demand to make a plastic set worthwhile?

Perrys have already released a Mahdist infantry some years ago, and must be aware of how it has been selling (though the recent release of the British infantry for Sudan may have boosted things a bit).

They also have a seried of ten or so packs of Afghan tribesmen and regulars, and again the sales data on those might be something they may consider in deciding whether it would be worthwhile to do them also in plastic.

Field Marshal20 Mar 2017 6:41 p.m. PST

Wonder if those home service ones might be convertible to prusssians?

mrinku20 Mar 2017 10:29 p.m. PST

Prussian helmets are a significantly different shape, but it would be possible with a fair bit of work. US issue helmets of the era are quite similar, though you'd need to tweak the badge to have eagle wings (as you would for Prussia). Take the spike *off* and you have police helmets.

It's worth noting that Warlord have taken down their plastic Zulu box sets, though the individual sprues are still available for order. My guess is that these are intended as the replacement kit for those (though as usual Perry will retail them). The old Warlord frame didn't have any command options, aside from the sergeant arm and his yaghatan bayonet, another reason for a revised kit.

Also, I really don't think the old Wargames Factory Zulu Wars British need be taken into account much. Even when they were still in production, they were very low standard figures, aside from the separate pith helmets which were handy for putting on better sculpts. I have a set, and they are really my last resort unless I want figures that are meant to be overweight and short.

So moving forward, my guess is these will be the only Zulu era British in plastic in current production. I do agree that a Zulu release would probably have been better, but it may be Warlord setting the agenda here.

Edit: And speaking of Perry plastic British, I sent in a suggestion via their website about maybe getting some Lee-Metford/Magazine Lee-Enfield conversion arms made up in metal for the Sudan kit to extend it's use forward through to the 2nd Boer War and Boxer Rebellion. Got a short reply from Michael saying it was a good idea and they'd think about it!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.