Help support TMP

"Napoleon at War - would love some thoughts and insights" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

679 hits since 4 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Draccan Inactive Member04 Mar 2017 6:48 a.m. PST

Was planning to play NAPOLEON AT WAR with 20mm Newline Russians (literally on the verge of jumping into it), but a trusted source told me that the game has some problems. I would like some more friendly thoughts and perspective about this game.
Some of the concerns listed was:
* Poor balance between lists
* Russians don't function so well.
* Reserve rules are poorly thought out
* Shooting before assault is too strong/punitive
* Equal size force gives too much advantage to defenders.

I realize some of this could be house ruled. But what do you guys think about the game in it's current state (I know it is presently coming under new management)…? What are the pros and cons. How playable is the game and is it fairly balanced?
If you play often, then why do you do that and why do you keep coming back to it?

Would love some more perspective…….. :-)

davbenbak Supporting Member of TMP04 Mar 2017 7:29 a.m. PST

I'm on the fence so far. I've played three times as the 1813-1815 French and lost all three times so I would say that might not seem balanced to those who think the French should win every time. I will say each time I lose I wish I'd have tried a different tactic so there is that "easy to learn, hard to master" aspect. I do want to play again.

Hints I have learned so far:
1) Try to have an odd number of units per group to help with the roll for morale at half casualties. (Even if this means adding a conscript unit or under sized unit)
2) If French pay extra for a light battalion and add the extra skirmish stands if against the British. Your going to need them as casualties if you want any hope of surviving their defensive fire.
3) Lancers are preferred for light cav. Not a real fan of the "Battle Cav" rules but I guess it's historical. Not many examples of successful light cav v.s. heavy cav encounters unless they are blown.
4) If French give Ordre de Mix tactic a try if you get a three on two opportunity instead of trying a two on one column v.s. line encounter.

Draccan Inactive Member04 Mar 2017 10:50 a.m. PST

thanks for your insights David!

Another comment my source told me about Russians is:

"Bayonet is a fine fellow vs Elan Both 30 pts, big difference
Sttubborn Not really a bonus
Fire is fickle totally crippling shooting possibilities

So you have an over-priced unit, that can only assault, but probably never will because of only one skirmisher (heavy Hth casualties)"

Sounds problematic…no?

evilgong Supporting Member of TMP04 Mar 2017 6:55 p.m. PST

Hiya

I have seen players do well in comps with Brits, French, Austrians and Ruskies. The other armies might do well too but not many players owned them.

Having said that, people were working out some optimum efficiencies in organisations.

I put all that in past tense because the local players have drifted away for want of a 2nd edition tidy up.

David F Brown

coopman Supporting Member of TMP04 Mar 2017 7:56 p.m. PST

We have played about 4 pick up games with them. The impression we got is that they are a pretty good rules set and we enjoyed them. Like all rules sets, they could benefit from some tweaks here & there. They were not broken by any means though. It seemed like the conscript and militia grade troops were very useless and were a serious downgrade in effectiveness from the line grade troops.

Clays Russians04 Mar 2017 9:18 p.m. PST

Why not black powder? Just courteous? Or Shako? I always Shako 1st edition was just fine and never understood why the need for a redo?

4th Cuirassier05 Mar 2017 6:04 a.m. PST

1) Try to have an odd number of units per group to help with the roll for morale at half casualties. (Even if this means adding a conscript unit or under sized unit)

LOL!

Draccan Inactive Member06 Mar 2017 4:46 p.m. PST

Great news today with the new owners hinting at v2 and listing whole new armies and lists of miniatures coming out… some already commissioned! :-)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.