Help support TMP

"Buenos Aries Regiment facing colour" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

449 hits since 3 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Colbourne66 Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 10:56 a.m. PST

Does anyone have details for the facing colours for the Spanish Buenos Aries Regiment in 1808? The regiment was made up of Spanish prisoners of war taken during the British attack on the city.

They were given Red British uniforms, but I don;t know what facing colour – if any there was. Anyone have any ideas? My Google-fu is weak at the moment!

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 11:18 a.m. PST

I have some info … but it's in Spanish my friend…
If you need help with that… it would be my privilege to help you…

link

link

link

Amicalement
Armand

Colbourne66 Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 11:24 a.m. PST

Thanks Tango!

I think I am going to ned help with this one – my Spanish is not good! Not sure I can make it out from the links… the BA Regiment apparently wore red British uniforms when they went to Spain in 1807-1808… but I can't make out the facing colour for cuffs and collar. Green perhaps? Any help would be great!

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 12:03 p.m. PST

I can read…

"Gradually, the prisoners of Montevideo were disembarked in different dates and ports of Spain and a part of them, on June 4 arrived at Ciudad Rodrigo (crossing by Portugal), under the command of the English lieutenant colonel Charles W.
This group was also dressed in full red uniforms, in white vests and panties, at Portsmouth, on the same vessel (Fortuna) carrying various supplies and 4000 similar uniforms for the troops of Galicia and Asturias…"

"…As there were not enough clothes, the ex-prisoners were dressed in red uniforms that were taken to the English in previous combats, reason why they were known them like "colorados of Buenos Aires". The mentioned uniforms were taken in 1782 after they capturing the English frigate "Elisa" that took clothes for three English regiments quarters in the Rock of Gibraltar…"

In one of the battle they fought… there are a very good detail here…

link

Were you can see this uniform detail of them…

picture

Hope it's help you my friend…

Amicalement
Armand

Rich Bliss Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 12:16 p.m. PST

White panties?

Zargon Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 12:21 p.m. PST

Now that's an Osprey that needs doing, and please plastic 28mm peoples make a cross belted body without lacing or details, single buttons down front, gaters to below knees. The rest we can scrounge from our bits box to make all those other unusual regiments for Napoleonics up to South American liberation armies and beyond. Or you can make the heads and arms as universal parts. Note nice robust weapons would be good too, none of those bend and break bayonets, preferably you could do those part in metal. Forever hoping

Reactionary Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 12:25 p.m. PST

Very clean chaps…

Zargon Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 2:46 p.m. PST

No not chap, panties, their not cowboys or gauchos.

4th Cuirassier03 Mar 2017 4:27 p.m. PST

"panties" to me means these

link

I struggle to know how anyone would have established that these were worn, or admitted to…?

Zargon Inactive Member03 Mar 2017 5:09 p.m. PST

Leave poor ol Tangos alone he actually did a very good translation I couldn't have done it and yeah we're just teasing him. But thanks to him some good info on one of those unusual units gets to see some light, very interesting stuff all. Thanks. Now how to model them?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 10:55 p.m. PST

Maybe tomorrow I would search more… by memory… many of the survivors of that unit return to Buenos Aires… but others conform a new unit named "San La Muerte"… because they cannot return and they considered themselves as dead men.. (not zombies)(smile).

Let's see…

Amicalement
Armand

Brian Smaller05 Mar 2017 11:22 a.m. PST

I painted mine with blue facings. Took a few liberties but pretty happy with how they turned out.

picture

link

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2017 3:19 p.m. PST

Nice job my friend!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

42flanker05 Mar 2017 5:42 p.m. PST

calzones in this instance, means 'breeches'- i.e. presumably (assuming the reference is accurate) the regulation white breeches issued to the British line infantry, as opposed to the pantaloons or trousers illustrated. ( calzones can mean 'drawers,' as in old fashioned male undergarments).

Supercilius Maximus06 Mar 2017 8:15 a.m. PST

( calzones can mean 'drawers,' as in old fashioned male undergarments).

And yet in Italian, it is a cross between a pizza and a Cornish pastie……

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP06 Mar 2017 10:34 a.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.