Help support TMP

"The Burning of the Valleys : Daring Raids from ..." Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

541 hits since 2 Mar 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0102 Mar 2017 12:56 p.m. PST

…Canada Against the New York Frontier in the Fall of 1780

"In the fifth year of the War of Independence, while the Americans focused on the British thrust against the Carolinas, the Canadian Department waged a decisive campaign against the northern frontier of New York. Their primary target was the Mohawk River region, known to be the "grainbowl" that fed Washington's armies. The Burning of the Valleys details the actions of both sides in this exciting and incredibly effective British campaign.

General Frederick Haldimand of Canada possessed a potent force, formed by the deadly alliance of toughened, embittered Tories, who had abandoned their families and farms in New York and Pennsylvania to join the King's Provincial regiments in Canada, and the enraged Six Nations Iroquois, whose towns and farmlands had been utterly devastated by Continentals in 1779. The Governor augmented this highly motivated force with British and German regulars and Canadian Iroquois.

In October, without benefit of modern transportation, communications or navigational aids, four coordinated raids, each thoroughly examined in this book, penetrated deeply into American territory. The raiders fought skirmishes and battles, took hundreds of prisoners, burned forts, farms, and mills and destroyed one of the finest grain harvests in living memory"

picture

Main page
link

Anyone have read it?. If the answer is yes… comments please?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Amicalement
Armand

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2017 2:14 p.m. PST

Yes. And if I can find my copy from whomever I loaned it to I'd like it back. Gavin autographed my copy at an event. Of course it is not a new book (1997), but it is a good book for the operations conducted on the Canadian frontier against the colonies then in rebellion.

Interesting list of his other books on your link.

Anthropicus02 Mar 2017 4:03 p.m. PST

Excellent book with a lot of curious and interesting detail. I particularly enjoyed the take on the battle of Klock's Field that was entirely assembled accounts of the battle in sequence. As well, the diagrams of the defenses at Schoharie are of great interest to wargamers.

RebelPaul Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2017 4:13 p.m. PST

I have this book.. Have yet to read it.

mjkerner02 Mar 2017 4:33 p.m. PST

Yes, and agree with Anthropicus 100%.

Personal logo Sigwald Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2017 6:54 p.m. PST

I love the book. I also live in Ballston, site of one of the raids in 1780. As kids one of our hangouts was the bridge over the Mourningkill creek on Devil's lane within feet of where Colonel Gordon's house used to be.

Supercilius Maximus03 Mar 2017 2:11 a.m. PST

Splendid book, one of those history tomes that is perfect for wargamers.

Thoroughly recommended – as are all of his books.

FusilierDan Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 5:11 a.m. PST

I read this awhile a go. Very good. If this is one of your periods it's a must read I would say.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 8:34 a.m. PST

Thanks for the heads up.

Tango0103 Mar 2017 10:51 a.m. PST

Thanks for your guidance my friends!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.