Help support TMP

"A-10s Were Responsible For Half Of All Close Air..." Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Aviation Discussion (1946-2006) Message Board

617 hits since 7 Feb 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP07 Feb 2017 8:12 p.m. PST

… Support Missions In Afghanistan.

"U.S. troops in Afghanistan came to depend heavily on Hogs.

The A-10 Warthog, a muscular and armored ground attack plane, is an odd vehicle because it was originally designed to attack Soviet tanks in Europe in the event of a third world war.

Thankfully, that conflict never occurred. Instead, the Warthog flew in the Persian Gulf War, the Balkans and has spent years taking on lightly-armed insurgents in Afghanistan and Iraq  where it performs excellently at the job.

Particularly in Afghanistan, given the length of the war and the A-10's predominant role, it might not be a stretch to say the Warthog is bound to it in the way the Il-2 Sturmovik and Ju-87 Stuka were to World War II…"
Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Legion 408 Feb 2017 7:30 a.m. PST

From my training & experience it is very good at it's primary mission – CAS …

dsfrank08 Feb 2017 9:04 a.m. PST

I'm surprised the A-10 isn't tasked with a much larger percentage of CAS missions than 50%.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2017 10:20 a.m. PST

We are going to see them flying till 2021…

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo TheWarStoreMan Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member09 Feb 2017 4:21 p.m. PST

Proudly made here on Long Island, back before taxes and regulations drove off the aerospace industry.
Lots of friends and relatives worked on this aircraft or on F-14s at Grumman. Just like my grandmother who was a 'Rosie the Riveter' making Wildcats and Hellcats in WWII.
Always fond of the power of this plane, and how perfectly suited it is to its role.

Legion 410 Feb 2017 8:03 a.m. PST

Yeah, my Mom was a "Rosie the Riveter" also during WWII. Made parts for P-39s.

I too liked working with the A-10 as a Grunt. With that GAU-8 and missiles on her wing racks, etc., … what's not to like ! thumbs up

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.