Help support TMP

"You go for a quiet walk in the country...." Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Aviation Discussion (1946-2006) Message Board

780 hits since 19 Jan 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Moonraker Miniatures Inactive Member19 Jan 2017 7:50 a.m. PST

….and someone flies a Chinook right under your nose:

picture

I heard him coming but couldn't see him – I thought he must be in the clouds. Suddenly, he popped up below me about 500 yards away, really difficult to pick up against the green background. Then he kept on coming and passed below me about 150-200 yards away. The hill I was on wasn't very high so this was low-level flying in spades.

Exhilarating grin

Doug

Major Mike19 Jan 2017 8:34 a.m. PST

Nothing link the drum of the rotors when they are at low level and moving fast.

Todd McLeister Inactive Member19 Jan 2017 9:17 a.m. PST

Very cool!

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2017 10:33 a.m. PST

Great picture!

bc174519 Jan 2017 11:45 a.m. PST

Had an Osprey fly parallel to me while driving past RAF Leaming on the M1 in North Yorkshire las week!

emckinney19 Jan 2017 12:04 p.m. PST

I've had a few odd experiences like this …

Getting buzzed by an F-4 coming over a ridgeline in the American southwest desert as we zipped along I-10. Low enough that I could see all of the panel lines.

The 110 freeway drops down into a trench just south of downtown L.A. USMC Super Cobra whup-whup-whups overhead, using the freeway to navigate. Hope it either climbed a lot or went clear around the skyscrapers …

It's amazing how effective camouflage can be when something that big should just be obvious.

Lion in the Stars19 Jan 2017 12:08 p.m. PST

During fire season (May through Sept or so), we usually have C130s roaring overhead. Makes me cringe and dive for cover every time.

"Best" low-level flying was when some joker in an F4 buzzed the town of John Day, Oregon supersonic. Supersonic down a 1mi wide valley, below the ridgetops!

Vigilant19 Jan 2017 12:59 p.m. PST

Driving in Northumbria in the 90s. Glanced in the rear view mirror and saw an F111 about to fly over me. He was low enough to nearly fill the mirror. Where I used to live in the East Midlands was under a low level route so we had regular sightings of Tornados, Jaguars, A10s, F4s along with the occasional Hercules.

Mako11 Inactive Member19 Jan 2017 4:09 p.m. PST

We used to have C-130s from the Coast Guard spray for mosquitoes when I was a kid, at tree-top level.

You could hear them coming over the adjoining woods nearby, and man were they big and scary to a little kid back in the day. Sent me running for the house, but a truly amazing sight as a pair of them going zooming by.

Now, the best treats I get are the occasional U-2 flyby, or the once annual, B-17 or B-24 sortie at low level.

The little T-38 driver goes by at least twice daily, and occasionally does high speed doughnuts at higher level, which can be surprisingly loud for such a tiny jet trainer.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2017 4:10 p.m. PST

I was walking home when I heard a highly distinctive engine noise, looked up and saw a Mustang fly over, returning from a meeting.

goragrad19 Jan 2017 7:10 p.m. PST

My brother was doing some prospecting on a ridge up above Breckinridge, CO when a couple of A-10 jockeys buzzed him. Close enough that he could have tossed a rock into the cockpit.

Practicing their nape of earth on the ridges up there and saw a target of opportunity…

bsrlee19 Jan 2017 11:13 p.m. PST

A friend who was a travelling pharmaceutical rep tells me that F-111's were nasty – they kept setting off his Police radar detector and then nearly blew him off the road flying under tree top level. Their terrain following gear was good enough he could see them rising and falling as they went over bridges and drains.

Personal logo A sea that raged no more Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2017 11:54 p.m. PST

I once waited for an international dignitary to arrive at a golf course in Scotland (no, not HIM) and the fellow turned up in one of two Chinooks – super impressive.

As a boy from the 'burbs I was totally in awe, as probably denoted by a ridiculous grin on my face! grin

Dn Jackson20 Jan 2017 4:26 a.m. PST

Prior to the ground war kicking off during Operation Desert Storm I was standing on a low hill looking towards a ridge line about half a mile away. I saw what looked like two shark fins running down the ridge line. Suddenly two French, (I believe), Jaguars popped up. I'd seen just their tails above the ridge. Very cool.

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member20 Jan 2017 4:28 a.m. PST

I live next to The Wash – so lots of various flying objects fly low over our house. Hasn't happened in quite a while but people driving on the Fens would get used for 'target practice' – you'd be driving along quietly then there would be a loud crashing sound as you got buzzed – never saw them coming and the sudden noise has nearly had go off the road a couple of times.

Good thing is that lots of displays are practiced in our area, plus we're on the flight path for anything flying from Lincolnshire – sometimes see the Battle of Britain Flight on it's way to displays.

PVT64120 Jan 2017 10:49 a.m. PST

In the 80's when I was in the Marine Corps and we were doing mountain warfare training in West Virginia I remember looking DOWN on the A-6s zooming up the valley!

Charlie 1220 Jan 2017 8:01 p.m. PST

Back in the day (when I worked field tech support), me and another tech were working on a microwave repeater on the crest of a high ridge in Nevada. Out of nowhere, here comes a pair of F-16s zipping along the valley below us. A few minutes later, here comes a B-1 (the venerable "Bone") right behind them. During the 5 hours we spent up there, we must have seen a dozen birds (F-16s, F-15s, etc) zipping by. And neither of us had a camera (WAAAAH!!!) But Truly awesome…

Roderick Robertson Fezian21 Jan 2017 8:57 a.m. PST

Watched jets flying down the Rhine below me, as I was up in one of the castles. Very strange feeling.

Also, watching a Mustang and a couple light bombers flying low over Santa Clara going to land at Moffett Field. Pretty darn cool!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.