Help support TMP

"Visiting the USS Olympia " Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

691 hits since 2 Oct 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2016 2:54 a.m. PST

Good Day

I am going to be in Baltimore for the ISA convention, and I was wondering how easy would it be for someone without a car to do a day trip to Philadelphia in order to visit the USS Olympia.

KTravlos

hmer2002 Oct 2016 3:46 a.m. PST

Looking online there looks to be a Amtrak train service from Baltimore to Philly. Maybe an hour and a half.

nudspinespittle Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2016 4:05 a.m. PST

The harder part is getting from 30th street station over to the Olympia. I'd suggest catching a cab to and from.

Tgunner Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2016 4:41 a.m. PST

It's an easy walk from the train station to the Olympia, IIRC. Plus you can stop and grab an actual Philly Cheesesteak on the way.

vtsaogames02 Oct 2016 5:20 a.m. PST

Well worth the detour. It's the original steampunk.

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP02 Oct 2016 6:14 a.m. PST

Even if it is a little difficult to get there you will find the trip to be worth the effort. Make sure to go aboard the submarine that is next to the Olympia first (even if you have been aboard a submarine first). The difference between the living conditions on the two vessels will astound you. The Olympia is basically like a cruise ship with guns. At least if you had the fortune of serving on the Olympia at the time, you might come away with the impression that the Spanish-American War truly was a "Splendid Little War." Of course, I am sure that the soldiers who suffered from bad food and tropical diseases probably had a different opinion.

Enjoy your trip,
Kevin

Vigilant02 Oct 2016 7:16 a.m. PST

Officer territory looks like a Victorian gentleman's club, not so good for the rest. Well worth the trip. The sub is great too. I visited in 07 when the docent in the engine room had been on the sub that had picked up George Bush sir after he ditched. Great guy, he said that he only saw the war once – he went on deck off Iwo Jima for a few minutes, didn't like it and went back below decks for the rest of his service!

attilathepun4702 Oct 2016 8:36 a.m. PST

I had the opportunity to visit the "Olympia" during the 1980's, and considered it well worth the time. One thing puzzled me at first, namely that there was no access to the main battery turrets. It finally came to me that the eight-inch guns were removed around World War I, and replaced with modern five-inchers mounted in the open, so the present turrets and barrels are just mock-ups with nothing inside.

Winston0102 Oct 2016 8:33 p.m. PST

Been to the Olympia a number of times and really must say it is well worth the visit. The areas below deck give a great scene of what it was like to be on ship during that time period. If you are there in the middle of summer you get to know what it must of been like with Commodore Dewey at the Battle of Manila Bay. Hot. If you get the chance I recommend taking the train or bus up to Philadelphia and seeing the ship.

DeRuyter03 Oct 2016 1:01 p.m. PST

One more point – you can take the subway (Market St line) from 30th street station all the way to Front street which has a bridge over I-95 to Penn's Landing waterfront area where the Olympia is located.

There is a local gaming group that holds a games day every year on or about the date of the Battle of Manila Bay in May. It is pretty cool to game on board. As others have said you can also visit the USS Becuna which is docked next to Olympia.

Also the Olympia is owned by the Independence Seaport Museum which is just about a block away. If you really have some time you can take the ferry across the river to visit the battleship USS New Jersey as well.

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP04 Oct 2016 2:38 a.m. PST

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Storyforu04 Oct 2016 3:19 a.m. PST

KT,
Second the subway from 30th Street. Get off at 2nd, it's about a four block walk (choice of path dependent on weather septa.org/maps/transit/mfl.html)
ISA starts November 4th? Check their facebook page, there's an engine room tour on the 5th
link
If you can't make that date, contact the Living History crew on Facebook and ask if anyone might be around working on the ship on the date of your visit.
For Philadelphia food, you'll find plenty of selections at 2nd & Market.

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP04 Oct 2016 2:01 p.m. PST

February 22nd-25th. Thanks for that advice.

BW195905 Oct 2016 2:39 p.m. PST

How far is the USS New Jersey from the Olympia?
Thinking of a future trip.

afilter13 Oct 2016 2:13 p.m. PST

BW 1959,

It is directly across the river.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.