Help support TMP

"20mm and 28mm" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Scale Message Board

616 hits since 26 Apr 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

captaincold69 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 7:29 a.m. PST

I'n not terribly familiar with this scale (world war 2)

I'm guessing it's mainly all plastic kits?

Any suggestion as to what brand of kit is best and where to buy?

Thanks

MajorB26 Apr 2016 7:35 a.m. PST

20mm is mostly plastic kits, but beware of the fact that "20mm" actaully encompasses TWO different scales – 1/72 and 1/76.

28mm is mostly metal figures and resin vehicle kits.

It all depends what you want to do with them …

Tarleton Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 7:52 a.m. PST

Also in 20mm a very wide range of manufacturers making all manner of kit in white metal and/or resin.

zippyfusenet Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 7:54 a.m. PST

20mm and 28mm are completely different scales. Which do you want to take up?

TunnelRat Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2016 8:00 a.m. PST

IIRC 28mm is actually 1:60 scale but most manufacturers use 1:48 & 1:56 as these fit in with other kits already commercially available.

20mm is now nearer to old style 25mm due to scale creep & has a great mix of both plastic & resin kits available. As mentioned by MajorB encompasses 1:72 & 1:76 scales but as long as you don't mix them in he same unit you can get along with both on the gaming table.

20mm is my preferred scale & as to what is best is very subjective. You have to weigh up a number of factors cost, level of detail, ease of build & availability.

I am based in Europe so my choices would be from that side of the pond.

There are a wealth of model kit manufacturers out there who cover most, if not all, of the common vehicles needed for WW2 gaming. If I need quantity, quickly then The Plastic Soldier Company would be my preferred choice. They are easy to make, lack in some detail but still look good & are very reasonably priced 3 tanks for approx £15.00 GBP Another option would be Frontline Miniatures who produce simple resin kits cheaply.
If I wanted quality then some of the offerings from Milicast would be a good starting point or in plastic it would be Dragon.

captaincold69 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 8:02 a.m. PST

Not gaming….strictly something to paint up and display in my limited space mini- man cave :)

I've seen some of the Plastic Solider Company stuff, however, I only need 1 tank…not 3 (since I'm not gaming in this scale).

I just want some of my favorite AFV's of WW2 sitting on top of my display case.

VCarter Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2016 8:37 a.m. PST

If you are going for display pieces then Plastic Soldier Company (as well as anything labeled "Fast Build") would not be my suggestion. Go with actual models and some 20mm figures for the crew. Eureka USA has some excellent crew figures.

link

zippyfusenet Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 8:40 a.m. PST

You don't say where you're located.

If you're building for display, not for wargaming, then I recommend building injection molded plastic kits. They tend to have a lot more pieces than wargaming models and are more fragile (really, too fragile to handle), but they're much more detailed and accurate.

So forget 28mm and 20mm wargaming models in white metal, cast resin, or even the plastic fast-build stuff. There is a vast range of subjects available in 1/72 and 1/76 scales (20mm), that's your best choice if your space is limited. The range of subjects in 1/48 scale (28mm-ish) is smaller, but I expect your favorites are covered, and they can be built up into very impressive display kits.

Visit your local model shop, you probably have one if you're not too far out in the sticks, and check their shelves and catalogs for your first build.

And if you're building 1/48 for display, you might want to reconsider that airbrush…

Tarleton Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 8:40 a.m. PST

Milicast.

captaincold69 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 8:41 a.m. PST

Those are nice infantry pieces, thanks VCater, but I'm looking for AFV's strictly (I didn't see any on that site…unless I missed it)

wrgmr126 Apr 2016 9:02 a.m. PST

Britannia/Grubby Tanks

link

Ready to Roll

link

Personal logo Waco Joe Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2016 9:02 a.m. PST

Quite a bit in 1/72 diecast vehicles in a wide range of prices:

link

Syr Hobbs Wargames Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Apr 2016 9:06 a.m. PST

I'll second Milicast especially their premier range. But there are lots of kits to choose from.

Duane

Vigilant26 Apr 2016 9:22 a.m. PST

If you want WW2 AFVs to paint then I would go with Tamika kits in 1:48 scale. There is a good range available from any decent hobby store or on-line supplier. They are reasonably priced and of excellent quality.

captaincold69 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 9:23 a.m. PST

Even with the untrained eye I can see plastic offers a cleaner look (especially since I'm going for display)

Appreciate all the help.

Time to go my local model shop and see what they have!

Timmo uk26 Apr 2016 10:05 a.m. PST

I'd definitely go with 20mm because you can add the fabulous AB tank riders and their other crew figures to your display models.

normsmith Inactive Member26 Apr 2016 10:19 a.m. PST

Yep, for display and perhaps building into a diorama, then 1/48 would be a good choice. Grab yourself a model magazine at the newsagents for a quick exposure as to what you could do.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.