Help support TMP

"brake fluid stripping, etc" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Pre-Paint Preparation Message Board

479 hits since 15 Feb 2016
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Queen Catherine15 Feb 2016 9:59 a.m. PST

OK, I got a bunch of old metals from GW and successfully stripped most of them with Pine-sol, my favorite method.

This time, there are three models all painted by the same guy / way with I am suspecting some sort of enamel green paint, possibly some metallic in it. I got a partial strip with the Pine-sol, but nothing else is coming off despite elbow grease.

Never tried it before, but do you think that brake fluid would remove this paint? Any other suggestions?

I am assuming it is not water-based paint as that stuff comes off so easily, and this stuff just looks and feels different, plus the metallic sheen has me thinking along those lines.

haywire Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2016 10:12 a.m. PST

if its metal, you can try Brake fluid. It will not effect the metal. You can also go with Easy Off oven cleaner and let it soak in a ziplock bag

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2016 12:28 p.m. PST

Dettol.

I'm actually stripping metal figures at the moment. Soak for 24 hours. Use a toothbrush to get the gunk off. Clean with paper towels (nb avoid water).

Dettol is non-toxic & better to use.

Queen Catherine15 Feb 2016 1:26 p.m. PST

lots of dettol options on line – which one do you use?

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2016 11:16 p.m. PST

Ummm….the one I bought at the supermarket.
AFAIK there are only two options: the brand named product & copies. I was told the copies might vary the formula & your results could be patchy.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.