Help support TMP

"Packing foam question." Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Shipping and Customs Message Board

Areas of Interest


Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Profile Article

Editor Julia's 2015 Christmas Project

Editor Julia would like your support for a special project.

810 hits since 19 Jan 2016
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

mwindsorfw19 Jan 2016 6:31 a.m. PST

I wasn't sure where to put this question….

I often get miniatures that have a square of foam inside the packaging for a bit of added protection. The foam is light grey, fairly soft, and about 1/4 inch thick. I would like to buy some sheets of that foam, but I cannot figure out what it is called. An internet search for packing foam got me all sorts of products, many of which seemed too rigid -- like you would use to cut into to store photography equipment. I can't seem to find what I want. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

olicana19 Jan 2016 6:44 a.m. PST

Like this?


Wretched Peasant Scum19 Jan 2016 11:01 a.m. PST

Try fabric stores, the ones around here have foam like Olicana shows.

bsrlee19 Jan 2016 3:22 p.m. PST

Another search possibility is to look for 'upholstery foam' – I know of a few specialist stores that can supply foam in several densities and thicknesses, the main use of open cell foams is in furniture padding.

jfleisher Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2016 4:57 p.m. PST

Charcoal foam:


CeruLucifus21 Jan 2016 3:46 p.m. PST

jfleisher seems to have given you the right link.

I have always called this stuff "foam rubber". I have bought it by the foot from upholstery supply fabric stores; I use this for customizing miniatures storage trays.

However there are grades of softness, stiffness, etc, and I don't know how the formal packaging foam compares to what the fabric stores carry.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.