Help support TMP

"WW1 1/2400 Naval - WTJ From Box to Table" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

1,046 hits since 6 Nov 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

yarkshire gamer06 Nov 2015 9:52 a.m. PST

picture

link

Welcome all,

Its been a while since I have been active on the old blog, not that my gaming activity has stopped though.

Here we have one of my box to table tutorials describing the process of getting some of the excellent WTJ ships from bare material (whatever it is !) to a point where it's ready to game with. I have included some GHQ stuff for comparison with the end product.

Hopefully of use to some, regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Big Red Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2015 11:28 a.m. PST

Beautifully painted and a great tutorial. The WTJ Queen Mary looks substantially larger than the the GHQ Lion.

hindsTMP Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2015 1:17 p.m. PST

Nice paint jobs.

FYI, and this has been discussed before, the materials used by WTJ are probably the same as Shapeways FUD, which is a plastic matrix of blobs impregnated with wax. Rinsing in soapy water does not remove the wax. Whether painting over wax with latex paints is adequately durable is TBD.

Mark H.

Bozkashi Jones06 Nov 2015 4:45 p.m. PST

Ayup Ken – very nice work! How did you do the air recognition circle on the turret tops? Looks way to neat to be by hand (and no – I'm not casting aspersions on thy painting!). I tried making a stamp out of a biro refill but it didn't work too well.

Cheers,

Nick

yarkshire gamer06 Nov 2015 10:18 p.m. PST

Thanks all,

MarkH I missed than conversation, do you have a link ? I have some horrors over the years with "plastic" stuff so always wash it first. It only takes a few minutes, better safe than sorry.

Hi Nick, the turret ring is done by hand, sorry ! I use a 5 O brush and use Light Grey to sketch it out, then a fine line of Off White in the middle. I then tidy up with black. The lt grey gives a bit of a shadow effect and hides your mistakes.

Regards, Ken
yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

VicCina Supporting Member of TMP08 Nov 2015 12:40 p.m. PST

Great looking ships!

hindsTMP Supporting Member of TMP12 Nov 2015 5:36 p.m. PST

Yarkshire Gamer,

Here are some threads which in part discuss prep of Shapeways FUD printouts. WTJ *appears to be* using a higher resolution version of the Shapeways FUD technology.

link

link

TMP link

Mark H.

yarkshire gamer15 Nov 2015 9:18 a.m. PST

Thats great Mark, thanks for the links. I will read and digest.

Regards, Ken
yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

HobbyGuy Inactive Member14 Dec 2015 8:07 a.m. PST

I kept hearing about these nightmares but I just washed my FUD shapeway with dish washing liquid, in warm, almost but not quite, hot water. I soaked for about 30mins then using new water and dish soap, I used a new toothbrush to gently and carefully (but when possible vigorously) clean the model. After doing this and rinsing in water using the the brush again during the rinse process, I let dry. Then I sprayed on white primer (Krylon iirc) and painted with Vallejo the next day. A day later I used Krylong semi-gloss to seal. The day following I sprayed with Testors dull coat to give a matte finish.

The day in between approach may not be necessary. It's just how I work in batches.

1 year later, the ships are as good as the day they were painted and there is not even the slightest sign of concern on them.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.