Help support TMP

"Photographic Backdrop Experiments " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Land Gallery Message Board

Back to the Photography of Miniatures Message Board

Back to the Bolt Action Message Board

955 hits since 25 Oct 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Red Over Blue Inactive Member26 Oct 2015 7:50 a.m. PST

I have posted an article to my blog showing some experiments I did with some photographic backdrops. Come take a look:

link

MajorB26 Oct 2015 7:52 a.m. PST

Some of them make it look as if the tank is flying!!

haywire Supporting Member of TMP26 Oct 2015 8:23 a.m. PST

is it me or does the picture seem more yellow in hue than it should be?

BeneathALeadMountain26 Oct 2015 11:10 a.m. PST

Are you using a bog standard bulb to light them? (Daylight bulbs are much cheaper and better than they use to be. I like the death from above flying one (and the water ripple tauchepanzer) although the last 'normal' background is the best (tad boring :) .

themodelwarrior Inactive Member31 Oct 2015 1:14 a.m. PST

Take a camera outside and photograph some countryside and then get it transferred onto a panoramic canvas or sheet. Realistic looking backdrops every time.

Personal logo specforc12 Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2015 10:49 p.m. PST

For the best color rendition photograph outdoors on a bright overcast day – this will give you the best diffused and accurate lighting. Photographing in direct sunlight will wash out the colors.

Combined with the suggestion of using natural background scene stopped down more if you want clearer, sharper background or a wider aperture if you want more fuzziness. Experiment with the settings and see what produces the best effect of depth of field.

- Tibor

jwebster08 Nov 2015 10:23 a.m. PST

@redoverblue

Nice stuff – I think I will go raid michaels

I liked your sandy one and the last one with the transition best

I have been taking pictures (that makes me a photographer ?) for a long time, but haven't got particularly serious about miniature photography yet

The #1 piece of advice I have is – don't buy a new camera. If you want to spend money, upgrade your cell phone. Cell phone cameras are now really good, and because of increased depth of field, can take good pictures more easily than a more complex setup.

Focus on lighting. You should be able to use lights that you have for miniature painting – spend money upgrading your painting lights first and re-use for miniature photography. You can move your painting lights around, take more pictures and figure out a light combination that works well for you

You have a slight issue with colour (white) balance. With auto white balance the camera averages the colour it sees and makes a guess. So a strongly coloured background or base or something can throw off the camera. I sometimes have to set the camera to manual white balance. Use the setting your lights are balanced to – daylight for flash, tungsten for old-fashioned light bulbs and the bulb colour temperature for any other bulbs you buy (cool white for instance). Don't forget to set the camera back to auto after :)

Good luck

John

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.