Help support TMP

"Latest fleet reinforcements from Shapeways." Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the SF Gallery Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

1,538 hits since 14 Sep 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Norrins14 Sep 2015 6:44 a.m. PST

Took the plunge about a month ago and bought some model starships off Shapeways – it helped that first time orders had free shipping!

Picked up some old and new designs to fill out my Federation fleet for 5150: Star Navy.

picture

There's some close pics and more importantly some size comparisons with ADB ships here – link

Gulik2314 Sep 2015 7:36 a.m. PST

Nice! I like the TOS Reliant.

billclo14 Sep 2015 9:32 a.m. PST

Sweet. Better stock up before they are C&D'd. :(

daveshoe14 Sep 2015 5:02 p.m. PST

Norrins, which Shapeways store are these from?

Norrins15 Sep 2015 2:54 a.m. PST
SymphonicPoet Inactive Member15 Sep 2015 11:48 a.m. PST

Very nice. Shapeways can be a great source and those are some nice looking ships.

billclo15 Sep 2015 11:59 a.m. PST

Ah yes, I got some of the reduced scale Scampers; very nice fill-in for a Star Trek Runabout.

Part time gamer13 Dec 2015 1:00 a.m. PST

I hate to sound like a button/bean counter, but just a.. friendly reminder, there was no 'Reliant', in the world of The Original Series. She came along in the Wrath of Kahh(great movie).
HOWEVER.. if you remove the 'rollbar', which was the trademark of the Reliant (Miranda class cruiser) you have a great Anton class cruiser. Which, depending on which source book you go by, did exist during the time of TOS.

For those that may have some Micro Machines know this, (I didnt for a while) the Reliant, w/ out the rollbar, but with the 'narrow' engine nacelles, was the Saratoga class cruiser. SO.. with this one model, depending on the type of engines and w/ or w/out the rollbar, you can have any one of three cruiser variations.

Shapeways does some great stuff. Most of all THANKs for the side by side with ADB, that is something I have wanted to see for a long time.

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2015 6:32 a.m. PST

Finally, recreating a shot from Star Trek 2.

/queue the music in my head/ ;->=

Thanks, seconded for the comparison shots.

Does the rollbar come separate in the shapeways version? I assume 'printed' on. Wasn't there a NG version that tarted up the bar even more?

I really need to get Blu-Ray versions of 2 and 3. I'll skip scenes through the DVDs for a quick fix of ships burning in the aether, but bookmarks to same would be SO useful.

Doug

Part time gamer19 Mar 2017 11:54 p.m. PST

@Norrins,
Right off, do you recall what scale these are? 5000, 7000 or other?

TheBeast
Does the rollbar come separate in the shapeways version? I assume 'printed' on.
I would tend to agree, likely 'printed on'. However, I have 'read' that some are more 'models' than miniatures.
That is 'some' Do Have parts that have to be added on. But for the most part, I think there 'one piece printed' miniatures.
Wasn't there a NG version that tarted up the bar even more?
Now THAT would be something I'd like to see if you find it @TheBeast.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.