Help support TMP

"Solid reins on a horse." Topic

28 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Pre-Paint Preparation Message Board

967 hits since 11 Feb 2015
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 9:19 a.m. PST

If the reins on a model are a solid bar of metal hanging under the horse's head, do you drill it out and shave the metal to make two sets of reins?
I used to do that all the time, but not lately.
However, I have been given a few 40mm AWI mounted militia (Thanks, Doug!) and am taking the 20 minutes per figure needed.

Citizen Kenau Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 9:21 a.m. PST

No. Solid reigns were good enough for the ancestors. They're good enough for me.

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 9:29 a.m. PST

Besides at wargaming table distances, it isn't noticeable. For me it is too much trouble.

Jim

Chokidar11 Feb 2015 9:38 a.m. PST

I started to… and discovered just how hard it is to do properly.. but still loathe to give up. It is an eyesore compared with all the other detail… even if as has been pointed out.. nobody sees the blasted things.
Empress horses are great in that respect.. I have no idea how their mould cutter does it!

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 9:41 a.m. PST

One of the joys of 15mm…..

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 9:43 a.m. PST

I wouldn't even think of doing that.

Thomas O11 Feb 2015 9:51 a.m. PST

I "might" think about doing that if I was doing a small vignette, but no way for the gaming table.

Yesthatphil Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 10:08 a.m. PST

10mm? No … 15mm and larger? It depends on the figure ..

Phil

Personal logo Condotta Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 10:12 a.m. PST

Yes, most get drilled, filed and shaped to represent separate reins if 28mm. For 40mm, I would definitely do it. In the end, it is what makes you happy that matters. Think of it as mental health therapy since the time spent results in something that pleases you.
youtu.be/Y_XXDMkmDqE

Rhoderic III and counting Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 10:13 a.m. PST

Never have in the past, but it's been years since my last project involving horses, and I'm a "better" modeller (in the sense of more patient and more meticulous) now, so I might in the future.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 10:14 a.m. PST

This is why needle files and Dremel are your friends.

Doug MSC Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 10:19 a.m. PST

Nope, if they were good enough for grampa the way they come, it's good enough for me. Besides, it's not like they are going to get in the way of the rider.

redbanner414511 Feb 2015 10:44 a.m. PST

Are you kidding?

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 10:51 a.m. PST

No. I constantly sharpen swords (so they don't look like planks), and have trimmed down many an Old Glory cankle, but I have never bothered with that.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 11:06 a.m. PST

I have never done it, unless they were designed as two pieces and it is just a piece of flash in between.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 11:28 a.m. PST

I'm just not THAT anal!

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 11:33 a.m. PST

It's not as annoying as chariot horses without reins.
But it is annoying nonetheless.

Besides, what else would I be doing?
And when it is done and looks smooth (IF it looks smooth…) it gives me a sense of satisfaction, and is something that nobody else will see or care about. It's like researching the proper shade of Vallejo for Popinjay Green facings.

wrgmr111 Feb 2015 12:45 p.m. PST

It's kind of like painting buttons underneath an arm that no one will ever see.
I've never done that, I've looked at, contimplated; but never will either.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 12:54 p.m. PST

Reins are designed and cast as one piece because it puts less stress on the robber mold. Stress and heat cause the rubber to harden and tear(especially in smaller scales). And if you do design and cast separated reins they are way out of scale(kind of like hands that are 2-3 times normal size(my pet peeve).

Dave
wargamingminiatures.com

Rhoderic III and counting Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 1:39 p.m. PST

I might at the very least carve a shallow recess between the reins using a hobby knife so there will be something to shade. If it's just a solid bar of metal with no recess, I'd feel forced to highlight it which would only heighten the absurdity. Painting shading on non-recessed areas just rubs me the wrong way.

That's for 28mm anyway.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2015 1:55 p.m. PST

Nope

I already hate painting horses enough without adding in extra aggravation

evilgong11 Feb 2015 2:10 p.m. PST

I put wire reins on a 15mm horse the other day, it was a one-off for Hannibal.

Regards

David F Brown

sarangkhan Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 2:22 p.m. PST

I have done it, but not always. Even then only on 25mm or larger.

sarangkhan Inactive Member11 Feb 2015 2:22 p.m. PST

I have done it, but not always. Even then only on 25mm or larger.

eoschmitz11 Feb 2015 5:01 p.m. PST

I might do it if it would keep my knights from fleeing off the table at the first sight of battle… or maybe that's due to the bad orders?

Syrinx011 Feb 2015 7:09 p.m. PST

I probably would. It would annoy me every time I looked at it otherwise.

Ivan DBA12 Feb 2015 5:54 p.m. PST

Flat Black paint for the middle of the solid reins, with the edges painted brown to represent the reins themselves is good enough for me.

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP12 Feb 2015 8:09 p.m. PST

As Ivan says, I would try to paint my way out of it. A little tougher with your 40mm figures though.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.