Help support TMP

"Epic 40k Tyranid test models" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Dirtside Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the SF Gallery Message Board

Back to the 6mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Science Fiction

1,530 hits since 20 Aug 2014
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

sean68333 Inactive Member21 Aug 2014 6:50 a.m. PST

I have painted up some Tyranid models to test out a color scheme. I would love to hear what you all think before I start producing these in volume.

You can see more pictures on my blog. link

picture

picture

Personal logo javelin98 Supporting Member of TMP21 Aug 2014 7:23 a.m. PST

Those look great! I wonder if there is something you can do to highlight the claws a bit more; I feel like the most menacing bits should really stand out.

sean68333 Inactive Member21 Aug 2014 7:29 a.m. PST

You can't really see it very will in the pictures, but I did paint the genestealers' tongues green.

Tongues are menacing.

Legion 421 Aug 2014 7:57 a.m. PST

Nice Bugs !!!!!

The Beast Rampant21 Aug 2014 9:22 a.m. PST

They look great, though they don't stand out much against the dark, mottled basing color (or that's what I'm seeing in the picture). Maybe sharper highlights on the grey? On the genestealers especially, I think the minis should have more dark-to-light contrast than the basing material, which to my eye is stealing the focus from the minis. With larger scales, the effect wouldn't show so much, but 6's need to "pop" more.

Just my two cents. Viva Epic! grin

sean68333 Inactive Member21 Aug 2014 9:54 a.m. PST

Maybe I will redo the basing with a traditional brown with some patches of grass like my Space Marines and see how that looks. I'm not committed to the ash waste look.

The Beast Rampant21 Aug 2014 11:07 a.m. PST

I used the "ashy charcoal" basing scheme for a while with my individually based Sci-Fi 15's.

My thinking was a) Sci-fi is the perfect opportunity to do something other than "brown with tufts of green grass" -

And b) it will blend better with "indoor" actions than most anything else I could come up with, splitting the difference between outdoors and an unobtrusive neutral look for indoors. This was really my primary reason for going with the scheme.

But I just never liked the way the way looked worked with my minis. YMMV- and anyway, I don't know your tabletop scheme.

I eventually changed back to using a light bluish grey I had been using long before. It looked alien enough (and matched a gaming surface I had made ages back) and never seemed to clashed with any of my paint jobs.

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP21 Aug 2014 12:16 p.m. PST

Sort of a camo colour scheme. I think it's effective.

Covert Walrus Supporting Member of TMP21 Aug 2014 1:30 p.m. PST

Works for me :) Effectively masking them against a background, but not too much, emphasizes the fact they are living organisms, if directed by a guiding intellect, and adapt to the environment. I'd only add a little red to the body as a highlight myself, and perhaps a touch more white on the "bony" parts.

The Beast Rampant21 Aug 2014 5:00 p.m. PST

I really like the cold palette for 'nids. Maybe some simple, very light blue marking on the genestealer's craniums?

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2014 3:06 a.m. PST

@ CW white or bone, maybe?

sean68333 Inactive Member28 Aug 2014 5:16 a.m. PST

I've added some contrast to my Tyranids and changed the basing so the models stand out more. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these. More details can be found on my blog. link

Bone colored armor plates and red claws.

picture

Changed the basing colors to brown with green flocks.

picture

TheGaffer10 Sep 2014 8:29 p.m. PST

They look much better to my eye. Suggest a bit of orange to the ends of the claws with a tip of yellow if you can get it to that scale.

Covert Walrus Supporting Member of TMP17 Sep 2014 8:42 p.m. PST

That's pretty good, and yes, a touch of Bone would help IMHO.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.