Help support TMP

"Loose files and American scramble rules" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

1,676 hits since 25 Mar 2014
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

B6GOBOS25 Mar 2014 4:51 p.m. PST

Is anyone out there still playing this? I did, a lot back when it first came out.
Now I am interested in restarting a new American Rev War army using these rules again. But this time instead of 15mm I would like to do it in 25mm.
So, if anyone out there plays this in 25mm I would be interested in any changes to the scale you do. Also how you organize your regiments ( number stands per regiment).
Thank you looking forward to hearing from you
Mark

doc mcb Inactive Member25 Mar 2014 4:53 p.m. PST

I use some of the mechanisms in my home-brew rules, but don't play directly from the published rules.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP25 Mar 2014 5:02 p.m. PST

I have heard of them, but never tried them.
Frankly, I am just tired of looking for the "perfect" AWI rules. I have settled on The Sword and the Flame for "skirmish" level games and Age of Reason for regimental level games. My group is familiar with both, so why re-invent the wheel?
YMMV

Happy Little Trees Inactive Member25 Mar 2014 5:23 p.m. PST

I believe British Grenadier uses a version of LFAS's movement/fatigue/DP system. But I haven't played either.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP25 Mar 2014 5:30 p.m. PST

As I recall (I could be wrong), LFAS was aimed at a skirmish level game. In fact I thought it modeled the British retreat from Lexington and Concord.

Toronto48 Inactive Member25 Mar 2014 7:54 p.m. PST

The Rules are still available . You can link to the rules from the Free War Game Rules site
link

or directly from Legio Wargames at

link

The game is more then a skirmish set as it can cover various sized battles. It stresses command control and disruption points "British Grenadier" is similar but a different set of rules.

I played LFAS around 10 years ago and it was a good set but is dated now. It is, let's say ,less comprehensive then current sets like Black Powder but it can give a good game once players become familiar with it

You can see the scales it uses from this exert from the rules

Scales

1 figure = 10 men. 1 inch = 25 yards. 1 turn = approx. 5 minutes. 1 model gun = 2 pieces of artillery.

Organisation

Infantry: in 'companies' of three figures to a base. Unit size = 9 – 30 figures.

Cavalry: in 'troops' of two figures to a base. Unit size = 4 – 12 figures.

Skirmishers: Individually based. Fire in groups of 3 figures. Maximum unit size = 15 figures.

Artillery: Each model gun has a crew of 3 figures and a team of horses.

One company/troop/base in each unit should be clearly identified as the 'Command Group' (e.g. by using a flag of officer figure).

Trierarch25 Mar 2014 11:59 p.m. PST

Our group played Loose Files quite a bit
Both in 15mm and 25/28mm
We used the same measurements in each without problems
ie inches all round.
We also tried "Real men's inches" 40mm/1.5" per inch which does work but is not really necessary.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Toronto48 that they are dated, though arguably they could use a command system. Personally I quite like simple order writing, but I seem to be in the minority these days :-)

Supercilius Maximus26 Mar 2014 11:40 a.m. PST

I wouldn't have thought LF&AS was designed for Lexington and Concord, as that formation wasn't in use in April 1775.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP26 Mar 2014 5:07 p.m. PST

So the problem with that scale – one inch equals 25 yards – is that for 25mm figures close range (50 yards) looks too close. Long range would be what, 6 inches?

Jefthing27 Mar 2014 12:36 p.m. PST

Still my favourite set for AWI, even after all these years, although I have tweaked it a bit as there are some holes. I have used it for 6, 15 and 20mm and plan to use it again when I start on 25s.
At 15/20mm you can use the same measurements, but at 25 I would 'add half' so that units move DAV x 1.5 inches, musket range is 12" etc.
Hope this helps.

Beagle15 Mar 2016 4:42 p.m. PST

Are there any scenarios floating around out there for LFAS? I see that there are some mods bringing the rules down into the early 18th century, 17th and even 16th century. Anybody put together any battle TO&E?

Supercilius Maximus15 Mar 2016 11:47 p.m. PST

Beagle,

You can use the four "British Grenadier" scenario books for this rule set – and any other rules, come to that.

Malbrook Inactive Member24 Apr 2016 9:05 p.m. PST

YES (with modifications).

I have 25mm, so my basing is a little different to cope. I'm using 1:15 figure ratio. Most troops based in open order (2 on a 40x20mm base), but with two ranks of bases. This lets me keep the ground scale. To represent extended order, just put the bases in a single rank. Only my Hessians are based in close order and do they have a look of mass when compared to open order troops.

I'm toying with a change in how orders are done.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.