Help support TMP

"would miniart germanic warriors work well as goths?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

369 hits since 21 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

aapch4521 Jun 2013 12:40 p.m. PST

I want to do a 4th century Gothic army, to run against my late Romans. Would the miniart Germanic warrior sets work as Goths?
I seem to recall reading that they were intended as Saxons, which would also work if they are extremely different. Germanic is kind of a cover all term… so I'm sure many of the different tribes and nations etc. Of Germanic peoples looked very similar.
Right?

Lord Raglan Inactive Member21 Jun 2013 12:45 p.m. PST

Goths were just Germans with a few more clothes on and a bit more armour.

Raglan

Lewisgunner Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 12:49 p.m. PST

We know what Goths looked like because there are some specific illustrations.
Long tunics to the wrist and at least the knee. Fur cloaks for some.
Pudding Basin hair styles. Trousers long and wide.
Embroidered cuffs and necks of tunics and own the front and round the trouser notams own trousers.
They don't appear to wear long boots until they have Ben in the Empire a long time. They don't appear to fight bare chested.
Shields should be round or oval. Hexagonal shields. Are just possible, but not terribly likely.

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 1:24 p.m. PST

They should work for most "Germanic" people including the goths. I wish miniart had a few more infantry poses though.

Bob in Edmonton21 Jun 2013 2:53 p.m. PST

I'm painting some of these now and I think they'd do for a variety of guys from late Germanics battling Rome through to Romano-Brits (the heavier cavalry) and their Saxon opponents. Yes, limited poses! They mix reasonably well with Strelets so you may find some reinforcements there.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 6:38 p.m. PST

if you mean these then yes..

picture

Rudi the german21 Jun 2013 8:42 p.m. PST

link

I use old glory and foundry saxons as they are the most historical goth.

YouTube link

Here the best and most expensive movie ever made…. Dark ages goth point of view!

Greetings and have fun

Frothers Did It And Ran Away22 Jun 2013 4:56 a.m. PST

Yes and Newline's metal 1/72 Goths would probably mix well as would Tumbling Dice's although there's no pics on their site.

link

link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.